Double Integral: Finding Triangle Area

In summary, Nick is trying to figure out how to integrate over the region from x=a to x=b, but can't seem to get the formulas to work. He tried substituting u=x-a into the integral, but got the same result. After some help from HallsofIvy and EngageEngage, he realizes he made a mistake and should have been working with (b-a).
Icosahedron

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int_a^b\,dx\int_a^x\,dy [/tex] should give area of a triangle, I can’t see how.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\int_a^b\,dx\,{(x-a)} [/tex] but then I won’t get 1/2 (ab)… (don't get the first brackets in latex between the two x)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Icosahedron said:

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int_a^b\,dx\int_a^x\,dy [/tex] should give area of a triangle, I can’t see how.
Have you drawn a picture? Draw x and y coordinate axes. x must lie between x= a and x= b on the x-axis so draw two vertical lines there. y must lie between y= a and y= x. Draw those lines. What figure does that give? That's the region you are integrating over and "dydx" is the "differential of area".

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\int_a^b\,dx\,{(x-a)} [/tex] but then I won’t get 1/2 (ab)… (don't get the first brackets in latex between the two x)
What did you do so that you "won't get 1/2(ab)", wave a magic wand? Show what you did. What is the integral of (x- a) dx from a to b?

Now, what makes you think the area of the triangle should be (1/2)(ab)? Look at the picture you drew above. What are the "height" and "base"?

if you draw out a picture you will see that you will get a triangle but its area will NOT be 1/2(ab). if you compute the integral you will find a familiar formula that is slightly different from what you have (you will have to play around with it to get it into form.)

If you do the integral [itex]\int_a^b (x-a)dx[/itex] by "substituting" u= x- a, you will get exactly the same as that "familiar formula"!

Thank you! Have been staring at this for like two hours, now after your help it is crystal clear.

Wait! Nothing is crystal clear.

So I draw two vertical lines on the x-axis at a and b. Then on the y-axis an horizontal line at a and 45 degree line for x=y. That gives a beautiful triangle that has area of 1/2(b-a)^2.

But when I do the integral, I get 1/2(b-a)^2 - (b-a)a.

?

If you do the integral correctly you should also end up with 1/2(b-a)^2. You probably made a mistake somewhere!

[tex]\int_a^b dx \, \int_a^x dy = \int_a^b dx (x-a) = \left[ \frac{1}{2}x^2 - ax \right]_a^b = ...[/tex]

If you don't make any mistakes you will end up with:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}a^2 - ab + \frac{1}{2}b^2[/tex]

which you should recognize as:
[tex]\frac{1}{2} (b - a)^2[/tex]

Idiotic is I am, for some reason I plugged b-a in 1/2 x^2, not b and a each and substract them. Some while ago that I calculated definite integrals.

thanks Nick, HallsofIvy, EngageEngage

Related to Double Integral: Finding Triangle Area

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the area of a two-dimensional region on a graph. It involves integrating a function over a specific area or region.

How is a double integral used to find the area of a triangle?

To find the area of a triangle using a double integral, the triangle is first divided into smaller rectangles. Then, the double integral is calculated by integrating the function over each rectangle and adding the results together. The final result is the area of the triangle.

What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral calculates the area of a two-dimensional region on a graph.

Can a double integral be used to find the area of any shape?

Yes, a double integral can be used to find the area of any two-dimensional shape as long as the shape can be divided into smaller rectangles.

What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate the volume, mass, and surface area of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of events occurring in complex systems.

Back