Double Integral for Volume Under a Surface

In summary: There were a few responses given to your question, but the one that makes sense and answers your question is the one that suggests using one double integral with the proper limits. This involves splitting the region into thin horizontal slices.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

Find the volume under the surface z = y(x+2) and over the area bounded by y+x = 1, y = 1 and y = sqrt(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the geometry of the bounds, I broke this integral into two parts. I first found the intersection of the sqrt(x) and y = 1-x. This is at x = [itex] \dfrac {1} {2}\left( 3-\sqrt {5}\right) [/itex]

Then my first integral was this:

[tex]\int _{x=0}^{x=\dfrac {1} {2}\left( 3-\sqrt {5}\right) }\int _{y=1-x}^{y=1}y\left( x+2\right) dydx[/tex]

and my second integral is this:

[tex]\int _{x=\dfrac {1} {2}\left( 3-\sqrt {5}\right) }^{x=1}\int _{y=\sqrt {x}}^{y=1}y\left( x+2\right) dydx [/tex]

However when I solve this integral, I don't get the correct answer (which should be 9/8 according to the solution).

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
By plotting the region it looks like you should be using four double integrals.

Last edited:
eprparadox said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume under the surface z = y(x+2) and over the area bounded by y+x = 1, y = 1 and y = sqrt(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the geometry of the bounds, I broke this integral into two parts. I first found the intersection of the sqrt(x) and y = 1-x. This is at x = [itex] \dfrac {1} {2}\left( 3-\sqrt {5}\right) [/itex]

Then my first integral was this:

[tex]\int _{x=0}^{x=\dfrac {1} {2}\left( 3-\sqrt {5}\right) }\int _{y=1-x}^{y=1}y\left( x+2\right) dydx[/tex]

and my second integral is this:

[tex]\int _{x=\dfrac {1} {2}\left( 3-\sqrt {5}\right) }^{x=1}\int _{y=\sqrt {x}}^{y=1}y\left( x+2\right) dydx [/tex]

However when I solve this integral, I don't get the correct answer (which should be 9/8 according to the solution).

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks!

I assume you want to bound the volume below by the plane z = 0.

What was your final answer? I do not get the value 9/8, either. In fact, since 9/8 > 1 it cannot be the correct answer, for even getting a crude upper bound gives an answer < 1. Below, let
[tex] a = \frac{3}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{5}}{2} \doteq 0.381966012 [/tex]
be x-value of the intersection between the square root and the slanted line.

The base of the first integral is the right-triangle with sides ##a## and ##a##, so has area ##A_1 = a^2/2 \doteq 0.07294901715.## A simple upper bound on ##z## is ##z \leq 3## for all feasible ##x,y##, so the first integral, ##I_1##, has the simple upper bound ##I_1 \leq U_1 = 3 A_1 \doteq 0.2188470514##.

The base of the second integral is a "triangle" with a curved hypotenuse, so has area less than a true triangle with the same base and height; that is we have:
[tex] \text{area}_2 < A_2 \equiv a (1-a)/2 \doteq 0.1180339888 [/tex]
Thus, an upper bound on the second integral, ##I_2##, is ##I_2 \leq U_2 = 3A_2 \doteq 0.3541019664##. An upper bound on the whole double integral is ##U = U_1 + U_2 \doteq 0.5729490180.## This is a lot smaller than the claimed value of 9/8 = 1.125.

Last edited:
Also, I would point out that, given the shape of that region, a dxdy order of integration allows setting up only one double integral.

@Zondrina: I don't think there are 4 double integrals because this area is bounded by y = 1 and comes to a point at the intersection of y = 1 - x and y = sqrt(x)

@Ray Vickson: yeah I get a number much smaller than 1. I calculated the integrals on wolfram alpha and I ended up getting something like .38@LCKurtz: I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Care to explain more?

LCKurtz said:
Also, I would point out that, given the shape of that region, a dxdy order of integration allows setting up only one double integral.

@LCKurtz: I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Care to explain more?

I mean put the proper limits on$$
\iint y(x+2)~dxdy$$Just one double integral is necessary.

@Zondrina: I don't think there are 4 double integrals because this area is bounded by y = 1 and comes to a point at the intersection of y = 1 - x and y = sqrt(x)

Yes I didn't notice this when I was sleepy. The region looks like it's divided up into three pieces, not four (somehow my brain convinced me there was a line at ##x=1## last night); The left triangle like piece, the upper triangular like piece and the bottom piece.

The limits for ##x## appear to be different in each region, as are the limits for ##y##. If I'm seeing this now, it looks like you would need five integrals. Not quite sure how you would do this with just one integral.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 9.14.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 9.14.01 AM.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 509
eprparadox said:

@Ray Vickson: yeah I get a number much smaller than 1. I calculated the integrals on wolfram alpha and I ended up getting something like .38

@LCKurtz: I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Care to explain more?

Intuitively, you have chosen to split up the base area into thin vertical slices parallel to the y-axis. Essentially, the suggestion of LCKurtz is that you split it up instead into thin horizontal slices parallel to the x-axis.

Zondrina said:
Yes I didn't notice this when I was sleepy. The region looks like it's divided up into three pieces, not four (somehow my brain convinced me there was a line at ##x=1## last night); The left triangle like piece, the upper triangular like piece and the bottom piece.

The limits for ##x## appear to be different in each region, as are the limits for ##y##. If I'm seeing this now, it looks like you would need five integrals. Not quite sure how you would do this with just one integral.

attachment.php?attachmentid=72664&d=1409750071.png

@Zondrina: The only region that is described in the original post is the upper one, and it takes one double integral if done as a dxdy integral.

Likes 1 person
I see all the lines only have one region where they all form a closed boundary.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Last edited:
Hey, thanks so much! Makes sense now.

Thanks!

eprparadox said:
Hey, thanks so much! Makes sense now.

Thanks!

Which response are you replying to? Please use the "quote" button when responding; it keeps the thread under control.

FAQ: Double Integral for Volume Under a Surface

1. What is a double integral problem?

A double integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the area under a two-dimensional function. It is used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve a double integral problem?

To solve a double integral problem, you must first identify the bounds of the integral and set up the correct mathematical expression. Then, you can use various methods such as the rectangular or polar coordinate systems, or the use of trigonometric functions, to evaluate the integral and find the solution.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to calculate the area under a one-dimensional function, while a double integral is used to calculate the volume under a two-dimensional function. In other words, a single integral deals with lines, while a double integral deals with surfaces.

4. What are some real-world applications of double integrals?

Double integrals are used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, finding the center of mass of an irregularly shaped object, and determining the average value of a function over a given region.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral problem include forgetting to change the order of integration, not considering the correct bounds of the integral, and making errors in the integration process. It is important to carefully check each step of the solution to avoid these mistakes.