Double Integral in an Enclosed Region

In summary: In this case, the limit in x will depend on the value of y. So the limits of integration in x and y are functions of y and x.In summary, the region enclosed by y = x +3, y = 5 - x, and y=8 is a circle. The lower limit of x is determined by the value of y at (-3, 8). The upper limit of x is determined by the value of y at (3, 8).
cse63146

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\int_B 1 dx dy[/tex] where B is the region enclosed by x^2 + y^2 = 9?

What if B is the region eclosed by y = x +3, y = 5 - x, and y=8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for x^2 + y^2 = 9, does it mean that both x and y go from -3 to 3?

bot sure about y = x +3, y = 5 - x, and y=8.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture of the regions. Start with first one. It's a circle. Yes, you can let y go from -3 to 3. But now the x limits at a specific value of y will depend on y, won't they?

so y can go from -3 to 3, which means x can go from 0 to 3 or -3 or 0?

[tex]\int^3_{-3} ( \int^3_0 1 dx + \int^0_{-3} 1 dx) dy[/tex]

Last edited:
Draw a circle and pick a y value. The range of x then depends on y. Solve x^2+y^2=9 for x to figure out what they are. The integral you've written is going to give you the area of a 3x3 square, which is not what you want.

You asked a question. You got a response saying that the answer is "no" and that the limits of integration on the first integral must be functions of y. Then you just asked the same question again!

Let me repeat Dick's response: No, no, no! Draw a picture. The circle has center at (0,0) and radius 3. In order that we completely cover that circle we must go from the the lowest point in the circle, y= -3, to the highest point y= 3. Now, for each y imagine a horizontal line at that value of y. In order to cover the circle, we must go from the left point at which the line crosses the circle, [itex]x= \sqrt{9- y^2}[/itex], to the right point [itex]x= \sqrt{9- y^2}[/itex]. Those will be the limits of integration.

Sorry, I act pretty stupid at times; I didn't realize that x and y could be functions/equations, always thought they were a single value, but I get what you're saying.

at the right side, should [itex]x= - \sqrt{9- y^2}[/itex] since it's on the negative side?

cse63146 said:
Sorry, I act pretty stupid at times; I didn't realize that x and y could be functions/equations, always thought they were a single value, but I get what you're saying.

at the right side, should [itex]x= - \sqrt{9- y^2}[/itex] since it's on the negative side?

The left side would be the negative side wouldn't it?

Is finding the region of y = x +3, y = 5 - x, and y=8 similiar?

I know y = 8, so x = y - 3 = 8 - 3 = 5 and x = 5 - y = 5 - 8 = -3?

y isn't 8 everywhere in that region!...sketch a graph of the region; what are the points of intersection of those boundary lines?

points of intersections are: (5,8),(-3,8) and (1,4)

Good! So y ranges from 4 to 8. Given a y, what's the lowest and highest value of x as a function of y? Yes, it's EXACTLY similar the other question. Except the region is triangle instead of a disk.

so x would go from -3 (lowest value) to 5 (highest value)

*praying I didn't say anything stupid again*

cse63146 said:
so x would go from -3 (lowest value) to 5 (highest value)

*praying I didn't say anything stupid again*

Sorry. You did. And it's the same mistake again! Again, if you integrate y=4 to 8 and x=-3 to 5 you are integrating over a rectangle. The domain is a triangle bounded by three points. That would be SO wrong. And again, the bounds on x are determined by the value of y. It's the difference between the value of x on one line and the value on the other. Just as in the circle problem it was the difference between the values on the two arcs. Try again.

If God exists, he certainly likes to ignore me.

Lets try this again.

I need to integrate this from x = 5 - y to x = y - 3

Yes, yes, yes! God does exist! You got it. :) You'll probably get other problems like this and it's always the same deal. Draw a picture of the region and draw horizontal and vertical lines through it. Unless it's a dead stupid rectangle, the limit in one coordinate will depend on the value of the other coordinate.

FAQ: Double Integral in an Enclosed Region

1. What is a double integral in an enclosed region?

A double integral in an enclosed region is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume under a three-dimensional surface in a specific region. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional region, resulting in a single value representing the volume.

2. How is a double integral in an enclosed region different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in a one-dimensional space, while a double integral in an enclosed region calculates the volume under a surface in a two-dimensional space. It involves integrating over a region instead of a single variable.

3. What is the purpose of using a double integral in an enclosed region?

The purpose of using a double integral in an enclosed region is to find the volume of a three-dimensional object or space. This is useful in many fields of science and engineering, such as calculating the mass of an object or the flow of fluid through a container.

4. What are the steps for solving a double integral in an enclosed region?

The general steps for solving a double integral in an enclosed region are as follows: 1. Determine the limits of integration for both variables in the integral.2. Set up the integral by writing the function to be integrated over the region.3. Evaluate the inner integral first, then the outer integral, following the limits of integration.4. Simplify the resulting expression to get the final answer.

5. Are there any applications of double integrals in real life?

Yes, there are many applications of double integrals in real life. Some examples include calculating the volume of a swimming pool, finding the mass of a 3D object, and determining the amount of fluid flow through a pipe. In physics, double integrals are used to calculate electric and magnetic fields, while in economics they can be used to find the area under a demand curve.

Back