Double Integral in Polar Coordinates: Evaluating and Solving for Limits

In summary, the integral can be evaluated by changing to polar coordinates. After substituting x = rcos theta and y = rsin theta, the integrand becomes cos 2 theta r dr d theta. The region of integration is bounded by the parabola y^2 = 4ax and y = x, with the limits of theta ranging from pi/4 to pi/2. The polar equation of the parabola is r = -2a/(1+cos theta). The double integral is then written as ∫(pi/4 to pi/2) ∫(0 to -2a/(1+cos theta)) (cos 2 theta r dr d theta).
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral by changing into polar coordinates.
[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{4a} \int_{y^2/4a}^y \dfrac{x^2-y^2}{x^2+y^2} dx dy [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting x=rcos theta and y=rsin theta , the integrand changes to [itex]cos 2 \theta r dr d \theta [/itex] . I know that the region of integration is the area bounded by parabola y^2=4ax and y=x. However, I don't know the limits of r and theta.

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{4a} \int_{y^2/4a}^y \dfrac{x^2-y^2}{x^2+y^2} dx dy [/itex]

Substituting x=rcos theta and y=rsin theta , the integrand changes to [itex]cos 2 \theta r dr d \theta [/itex] . I know that the region of integration is the area bounded by parabola y^2=4ax and y=x. However, I don't know the limits of r and theta.

Perhaps you should not use ##x = r \cos \theta, \: y = r \sin \theta##. Why would you not just do the inner x-integration first, then do the y-integration?

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

Have you drawn a picture of that region? Have you written the equation of that parabola in polar coordinates? You need to do both. Then think of a point inside the region. It will move from ##r=0## to ##r## on the parabola. Once you draw that you should be able to see what values ##\theta## must vary between.

Ray Vickson said:
Perhaps you should not use ##x = r \cos \theta, \: y = r \sin \theta##. Why would you not just do the inner x-integration first, then do the y-integration?
Because I'm required to solve it by changing into polar coordinates.

LCKurtz said:
Have you drawn a picture of that region? Have you written the equation of that parabola in polar coordinates? You need to do both. Then think of a point inside the region. It will move from ##r=0## to ##r## on the parabola. Once you draw that you should be able to see what values ##\theta## must vary between.
The polar equation of given parabola will be ##r=-2a/(1+cos \theta)##. The limit of theta is pi/4 to pi/2. Integrating the expression wrt r I'm left with ##\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \dfrac{-2a cos 2 \theta}{1+cos \theta} d \theta ##

utkarshakash said:
The polar equation of given parabola will be ##r=-2a/(1+cos \theta)##. The limit of theta is pi/4 to pi/2. Integrating the expression wrt r I'm left with ##\int_{\pi/4}^{\pi/2} \dfrac{-2a cos 2 \theta}{1+cos \theta} d \theta ##

It looks like you have figured out the limits now, but I don't get the same equation for the parabola. Surely ##r## shouldn't be negative. And let's see the double integral after you have put it in polar coordinates and before you integrate it.

Related to Double Integral in Polar Coordinates: Evaluating and Solving for Limits

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It is used to calculate the volume under a curved surface or the area between two curves.

2. How do you evaluate a double integral?

To evaluate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use a variety of techniques such as change of variables, integration by parts, or partial fractions to simplify the integral. Finally, you can evaluate the integral using integration rules and techniques.

3. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. They are used to calculate the mass, center of mass, moments of inertia, and other physical quantities for various objects and systems. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate joint probabilities and expected values.

4. Can you solve a double integral without using calculus?

No, it is not possible to solve a double integral without using calculus. Double integrals involve calculating the limit of a sum of infinitely many small rectangular areas, which is the fundamental concept of calculus. However, there are some techniques, such as using numerical methods or approximation methods, that can be used to approximate the value of a double integral without explicit integration.

5. What are some common mistakes when evaluating a double integral?

Some common mistakes when evaluating a double integral include incorrect determination of limits of integration, incorrect use of integration rules, and forgetting to include the differential terms in the integrand. It is also important to check for symmetry and use appropriate change of variables when necessary. Additionally, it is always a good idea to double-check the final answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.