Double Integral in Polar Coordinates

In summary: The answer should be easy to check using the sketch.The integral looks correct, the only thing wrong is the value of the cosine in the second integral.
shards5

Homework Statement

Using polar coordinates, evaluate the integral which gives the area which lies in the first quadrant between the circles x2 + y2 = 256 and x2 - 16x + y2 = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding the intervals of integration for the polar coordinates.
From the first equation I get r2 = 256 therefore r = 16
From the second equation I get r2 - 16rcos[tex]\theta[/tex] therefore r = 16cos([tex]\theta[/tex])
Since it is the first quadrant theta will be from 0 to pi/2.
Now this is the part where I am confused about. My intuition is that I should integrate the bigger circle and then subtract the integral of the smaller circle within it so I would have something like the following.
[tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}\int^{16}_{0} r drd\theta - \int^{\pi/2}_{0}\int^{16cos\theta}_{8} r drd\theta[/tex].
Is this the right approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch the region. The answer should be easy to check using the sketch.

The first integral looks fine. The second one doesn't.

Last edited:
I sketched it out and for the second one I am basing my intervals of integration of r from the center of the circle to the edge of the circle.That seems to make the most sense to me, however, a similar example in my book (which has a circle shifted 2 to the right instead of 8 and has a radius of 1 instead of 8) uses the radius from 0 to 2cos[tex]\theta[/tex] and that doesn't really make sense to me. If you could explain why the radius would be from 0 to 16cos[tex]\theta[/tex] in this case (or if it isn't) then that would be really helpful as I don't have that intuitive understanding yet.

Look at ordered pairs (r,θ). If r starts at 8, you will never cover the portion of the half circle that's less than 8 units from the origin.

That seems to make sense since if I think of [tex]\theta[/tex] as how much an imaginary line sweeps through and radius as how long that line actually is.
So now that I have the following:
[tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}\int^{16}_{0} r drd\theta - \int^{\pi/2}_{0}\int^{16cos\theta}_{0} r drd\theta [/tex]
After the first integration I get.
[tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0} r^2/2 d\theta - \int^{\pi/2}_{0} r^2/2 drd\theta [/tex]
Plugging in I get
[tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0} 128 d\theta - \int^{\pi/2}_{0} 128cos^2\theta drd\theta [/tex]
And now I am stuck because I don't exactly remember how to integrate cos2[tex]\theta[/tex]? How do you usually integrate something like cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] again?

shards5 said:
How do you usually integrate something like cos2[tex]\theta[/tex] again?

By the half-angle formula,

[tex]
\cos^2 \theta = \frac{1 + \cos(2\theta)}{2}
[/tex]

which should make the integration easier.

Okay, then after integration I get the following.
128*pi/2 - [1/2[tex]\theta[/tex] + sin(2*[tex]\theta[/tex])/4]
Plugging in my values I get the following.
128*pi/2 - pi/4 - sin(pi)/4 + sin(0)/4
but this is wrong. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

You forgot the factor of 128 on the second integral.

Related to Double Integral in Polar Coordinates

1. What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area bounded by a curve in polar coordinates. It is the equivalent of a regular double integral, but in polar coordinates, which use angles and distances from the origin instead of linear x and y coordinates.

2. How is a double integral in polar coordinates different from a regular double integral?

A double integral in polar coordinates is different from a regular double integral in that it uses a different coordinate system, namely polar coordinates. This means that instead of integrating over a rectangular region in the x-y plane, the integration is done over a circular or annular region in the r-θ plane. The limits of integration and the integrand also change accordingly.

3. What is the formula for calculating a double integral in polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating a double integral in polar coordinates is: ∫∫f(r,θ) rdrdθ. This involves integrating the function f(r,θ) over the radial distance r and the angular distance θ, and then multiplying the result by the differentials of r and θ.

4. What is the purpose of using a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is often used to solve problems involving circular or cylindrical symmetry, such as calculating the area of a sector or the volume of a cylindrical object. It can also make certain calculations, such as finding the center of mass or moment of inertia, easier by simplifying the integrand.

5. How do you convert a regular double integral into a double integral in polar coordinates?

To convert a regular double integral into a double integral in polar coordinates, the first step is to sketch the region of integration in the x-y plane. Then, using the appropriate equations, determine the limits of integration in terms of r and θ. Finally, convert the integrand into polar coordinates by substituting x and y with their corresponding polar coordinate expressions.