Double integral in polar coordinates

In summary, a double integral in polar coordinates is an integral used to find the volume under a surface in polar coordinates, represented by ∫∫f(r,θ)rdrdθ. The main difference between a double integral in polar coordinates and rectangular coordinates is the coordinate system used, and converting between the two involves using transformation equations and adjusting integration limits. Applications of double integrals in polar coordinates include calculating area, volume, and mass of polar figures, and solving problems in physics, engineering, and mathematics. To evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates, the integral needs to be changed to polar form, the region of integration identified, and the integral solved using standard techniques or numerical methods.
whynot314

Homework Statement

I know I have the set up done correctly I am wondering where I went wrong because I know I cannot get zero, and I am a little worried I did my integration wrong. please help.
[PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/IMAG0107_zps3cde35a8.jpg[/PLAIN]

Physics news on Phys.org
If the answer is not supposed to be 0, your setup is wrong.

Related to Double integral in polar coordinates

What is a double integral in polar coordinates?

A double integral in polar coordinates is an integral that is used to find the volume under a surface in polar coordinates. It is represented by ∫∫f(r,θ)rdrdθ and is used to integrate over a region in the polar coordinate system.

What is the difference between a double integral in polar coordinates and rectangular coordinates?

The main difference between a double integral in polar coordinates and rectangular coordinates is the coordinate system used. In polar coordinates, the region of integration is represented by a circle or annulus, while in rectangular coordinates, it is represented by a rectangle. Additionally, the integration limits and the integrand can be different in the two coordinate systems.

How do you convert a double integral in rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates, you need to use the transformation equations x = rcosθ and y = rsinθ, and also change the integration limits accordingly. The integrand may also need to be converted using the Jacobian determinant.

What are some applications of double integrals in polar coordinates?

Double integrals in polar coordinates have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used to calculate the area, volume, and mass of polar figures such as circles, rings, and sectors. They are also used in solving problems related to electric fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer.

How do you evaluate a double integral in polar coordinates?

The process of evaluating a double integral in polar coordinates involves changing the integral to polar form, identifying the region of integration, setting up the limits of integration, and then solving the integral using standard integration techniques. It may also involve converting the integrand using the Jacobian determinant. In some cases, the integral may need to be evaluated using numerical methods.