Double integral in Rectangular coordinates for anything circular

I made a mistake in my calculation. The correct formula for the volume of a cone is $\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2h$ where $r$ is the radius of the base and $h$ is the height of the cone.In summary, the conversation was about finding the volume of a cone using a double integral and the difficulties the speaker encountered. It was suggested to use polar coordinates and trigonometric substitution to evaluate the integral, but it was also pointed out that a simpler approach would be to use the formula for the volume of a cone. Additionally, there was a correction made to the formula for the volume of a cone.
PaultheRiemann
This is the equation for the cone
A \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}

The double integral

\iint A \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \space dy \space dx \space \space \space\text {From x= -1 to 1 and y=} -\sqrt{1-x^2} \space to \space \sqrt{1-x^2}

\text{ is very difficult to evaluate. I've tried polar coordinate substitution. However, I can't seem to get} /space 2/3 \pi z \space \text{where z is the height of cone and 1 is the radius of the cone}

Physics news on Phys.org
\text{here's what happens when I use CLAIRAUT theorem to change the order of the pertaining triple integral}

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1420297046.972458.jpg

I'm also trying my best not to use cylindrical and spherical coordinate systems.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1420298926.716545.jpg
easy when spherical coordinates are used

You are not getting any responses, perhaps because no one can understand what you are saying.
Put your Latex between double dollar signs.
PaultheRiemann said:
$$A \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}$$
No, it isn't, in fact, it is not even an equation! I assume you meant $$z= A\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}$$ but even that is only one side of the cone- the entire cone is $$z^2= A^2(x^2+ y^2)$$

The double integral

$$\iint A \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \space dy \space dx \space \space \space$$$$\text {From x= -1 to 1 and y=} -\sqrt{1-x^2} \space to \space \sqrt{1-x^2}$$

\text{ is very difficult to evaluate. I've tried polar coordinate substitution. However, I can't seem to get} /space 2/3 \pi z \space \text{where z is the height of cone and 1 is the radius of the cone}
To integrate $\int_{x= -1}^1\int_{y= {-\sqrt{1- x^2}}^\sqrt{1- x^2} A\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}dy dx$$
I would first use trig identity $$tan^2(\theta)+ 1= sec^2(\theta)$$ and make the substitution $$y= xtan(\theta)$$. Then $$\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= \sqrt{x^2+ x^2 tan(\theta)}= x sec(\theta)$$. Also $$dy= sec^2(\theta)d\theta$$
PaultheRiemann said:
A \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}

The double integral

\iint A \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \space dy \space dx \space \space \space\text {From x= -1 to 1 and y=} -\sqrt{1-x^2} \space to \space \sqrt{1-x^2}

No, it is not that difficult. The substitution $$y= x tan(\theta)$$ works nicely.

But I don't see why you are doing that. if you want to find the volume of a cone, with height h, then the double integral you are using isn't going to do it. Instead, note that, for any z, a cross section is a disk with center (0, 0, z) and radius $$r= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}= \frac{z}{A}$$ so area $$\pi \frac{z^2}{A^2}$$. Taking the "thickness" to be dz, the volume of such disk is $$\pi \frac{z^2}{A^2}dz$$. The entire cone, thought of as the sum of such disks is $$\frac{\pi}{A^2}\int_0^h z^2 dz$$. In this particular cone, with $$z= A\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}$$ a cone with height h will have base radius $$\frac{h}{A}$$.

That will NOT give "$$\frac{2}{3}\pi h$$" because that is NOT the formula for volume of a cone. The volume of a cone, of height h and base radius R, is $$\frac{1}{3}\pi r^2h$$- 1/3, not 2/3.

Thanks halls

Related to Double integral in Rectangular coordinates for anything circular

1. What is a double integral in rectangular coordinates?

A double integral in rectangular coordinates is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a surface or the volume between two surfaces in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a region in the x-y plane to find the total amount of the function within that region.

2. How is a double integral used for anything circular?

A double integral can be used to find the area of a circle by integrating the function for a circle, which is defined as x^2 + y^2 = r^2, over the region of the circle. This results in the equation A = ∫∫ f(x,y) dA, where f(x,y) = 1 and dA is the infinitesimal area element.

3. What are the limits of integration for a double integral in rectangular coordinates?

The limits of integration for a double integral in rectangular coordinates are determined by the boundaries of the region over which the function is being integrated. For example, for a circle with radius r centered at the origin, the limits would be -r to r for both x and y.

4. Can a double integral in rectangular coordinates be used for non-circular shapes?

Yes, a double integral in rectangular coordinates can be used for any shape as long as the boundaries of the region can be described by a set of equations. The limits of integration would be determined by the equations that define the boundaries of the region.

5. What are some real-world applications of using a double integral in rectangular coordinates for anything circular?

Some real-world applications include calculating the volume of a sphere or cylinder, finding the mass of a solid object with varying density, and determining the force on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. It can also be used in economics to calculate the total revenue of a circular-shaped business such as a pizza shop or a circular pool.