Double Integral of a Quarter Circle: Evaluating (x^2+y^2)arctan(y/x)

In summary, the homework statement is to evaluate the integral (x^2+y^2)arctan(y/x) for 0<y<a and 0<x<(a^2+y^2)^0.5. The attempt at a solution found that changing the order of integration to get (x^2+y^2)arctan(y/x) for 0<x<a and 0<y<(a^2-x^2)^0.5 was a quarter of a circle. The dy integral is then (1+(y/x)^2)arctan(y/x). I'm not sure what to do now. If you use
Lucy Yeats

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral (x^2+y^2)arctan(y/x) for 0<y<a and 0<x<(a^2-y^2)^0.5.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried changing the order of integration to get the integral (x^2+y^2)arctan(y/x) for 0<x<a and 0<y<(a^2-x^2)^0.5. I noticed that this was a quarter of a circle.

I tried then taking x^2 out of the dy integral and into the dx one. The dy integral is then (1+(y/x)^2)arctan(y/x). I'm not sure what to do now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you use the fact that x^2+y^2=a^2? I can then take the constant a^2 in front of the integral, so I only need to integrate arctan(y/x).dy.

Lucy Yeats said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral (x^2+y^2)arctan(y/x) for 0<y<a and 0<x<(a^2+y^2)^0.5.
Is the last inequality supposed to be 0 < x < √(a2 - y2)?

Lucy Yeats said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried changing the order of integration to get the integral (x^2+y^2)arctan(y/x) for 0<x<a and 0<y<(a^2+x^2)^0.5. I noticed that this was a quarter of a circle.

I tried then taking x^2 out of the dy integral and into the dx one. The dy integral is then (1+(y/x)^2)arctan(y/x). I'm not sure what to do now.

Rather than just changing the order of integration, I think the best plan is change to a polar integral.

Yes, I've changed that now- thanks for pointing out the error.

So is it a^2∫θ.dθ∫r.dr?

How would I change the limits?

So would the limits be 0<r<a and -π/2<θ<π/2?

Would someone mind checking whether these limits are correct? :-)

Thanks in advance.

Hi Lucy Yeats! :smile:

It should be x^2+y^2=r^2.
It is not equal to a^2, since you integrate (x,y) over the surface of the circular disk and not just the boundary.

Your angle θ should run from 0 to pi/2, since you only integrate the first quadrant.
For θ<0 you would get negative y, but your problem statement says y>0.

I've got it now, thanks everyone! :-)

Related to Double Integral of a Quarter Circle: Evaluating (x^2+y^2)arctan(y/x)

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume under a curved surface in two dimensions. It is computed by dividing the surface into small rectangles, finding the area of each rectangle, and then summing up all the areas.

2. How is a double integral evaluated?

A double integral is evaluated by using the limits of integration to set up a mathematical expression, which is then solved using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution.

3. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to find the mass and center of mass of an object with varying density, calculate the work done by a force over a curved path, or determine the total revenue or profit of a business.

4. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite double integral?

A definite double integral has specific limits of integration and yields a numerical value, while an indefinite double integral does not have limits and results in a general expression with an unknown constant.

5. How can technology be used to evaluate a double integral?

Technology such as graphing calculators and computer software can be used to evaluate double integrals by performing numerical approximations or using numerical integration techniques. These tools can also be used to plot the resulting surfaces and visualize the integration process.

Back