Double integral of arctan in polar coordinates

In summary, the region R is a ring 1 unit thick centered at the origin and with a radius between 1 and 2, sliced through the middle by the line y=x and only including the lower half in quadrants 1, 3, and 4. The correct translation for the region in polar coordinates is R= {(r, T) | -3pi/4 ≤ T ≤ pi/4, 0 ≤ r ≤ cos(T)} and after evaluating the integral ∫∫arctan(y/x) dA using polar coordinates, the answer is 3π^2/64.
LunaFly

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral using polar coordinates:

∫∫arctan(y/x) dA

Where R={ (x,y) | 1≤ x2 + y2 ≤ 4, 0≤y≤x

Homework Equations

X=rcos(T)
Y=rsin(T)
r2=x2 +y2

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing was drawing a picture of R, which I think looks like a ring 1 unit thick centered at the origin and with a radius between 1 and 2. Since y≤x, the ring is sliced through the middle by the line y=x, and only the lower half in quadrants 1, 3, and 4 is a part of R.

I rewrote the region as R= {(r, T) | -3pi/4 ≤ T ≤ pi/4, 1 ≤ r ≤ 2}.

After evaluating r*arctan(tan(T))drdT at the above limits, I end up with 3, while the book says the answet is 3pi2/64. I think I am translating the region incorrectly, but don't see how else to describe it.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LunaFly said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral using polar coordinates:

∫∫arctan(y/x) dA

Where R={ (x,y) | 1≤ x2 + y2 ≤ 4, 0≤y≤x

Homework Equations

X=rcos(T)
Y=rsin(T)
r2=x2 +y2

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing was drawing a picture of R, which I think looks like a ring 1 unit thick centered at the origin and with a radius between 1 and 2. Since y≤x, the ring is sliced through the middle by the line y=x, and only the lower half in quadrants 1, 3, and 4 is a part of R.
Hello LunaFly. Welcome to PF !

Notice that 0 ≤ y ≤ x , so that not only is x ≥ y, but also y ≥ 0 and x ≥ 0.

I rewrote the region as R= {(r, T) | -3pi/4 ≤ T ≤ pi/4, 1 ≤ r ≤ 2}.

After evaluating r*arctan(tan(T))drdT at the above limits, I end up with 3, while the book says the answet is 3pi2/64. I think I am translating the region incorrectly, but don't see how else to describe it.

Thanks for the help!

Solved!

Ah overlooking that small detail really messed up my work!

Thanks for pointing out my mistake :approve: !

Related to Double integral of arctan in polar coordinates

1. What is the formula for calculating the double integral of arctan in polar coordinates?

The formula for calculating the double integral of arctan in polar coordinates is:

R arctan(y/x) dA = ∫00 r arctan(sinθ/cosθ) dr dθ

2. What does the double integral of arctan in polar coordinates represent?

The double integral of arctan in polar coordinates represents the signed area between the polar curve and the origin. It is also known as the area moment of inertia or the area moment of the polar curve.

3. How is the double integral of arctan in polar coordinates related to the Cartesian coordinates system?

The double integral of arctan in polar coordinates is related to the Cartesian coordinates system through the substitution of x = r cosθ and y = r sinθ. This allows for the polar curve to be represented in terms of r and θ, making the calculation of the double integral easier.

4. Can the double integral of arctan in polar coordinates be used to find the area of a shape?

Yes, the double integral of arctan in polar coordinates can be used to find the area of a shape. However, it is only applicable for shapes that can be represented in polar coordinates, such as circles, ellipses, and other polar curves.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the double integral of arctan in polar coordinates?

Yes, the double integral of arctan in polar coordinates has various real-world applications, such as calculating the centroid and moment of inertia for polar curves in physics and engineering problems. It is also used in calculating the area of regions in polar coordinates in mathematics and geometry.

Back