Double Integral of Exponential Function with Changing Bounds

In summary, the student attempted to solve a double integral of y*e^(x^4-1) with bounds, but switched the order of integration and ran into trouble. They were able to fix the problem by looking at the graph of the region and finding that the correct limits of integration were y=0 to y=x^(3/2).
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Double integral of y*e^(x^4-1)
with bounds
0=<y=<1
y^(2/3)=<x=<1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Well, the first key thing to recognize is that we need the correct order for the bounds to compute this double integral.
So I switch it from x=y^(2/3) and x=1 TO y=x^(3/2) and y=1
and x=0 to x=1 becomes the x boundaries.

So now I integrate with respects to the y boundary first as that is the only way to solve this problem.
I get y^2/2*e^(x^4-1) from y=1 to y=x^(3/2)

This then becomes the integral from x=0 to x=1 of 1/2(e^(x^4-1)-x^3*e^(x^4-1))dx

And I am clueless on how to solve this. I've been trying to do u-substitution for a while now knowing that letting u = x^4-1 and du=x^3 I can work with something.

Did I do something wrong in my previous steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Double integral of y*e^(x^4-1)
with bounds
0=<y=<1
y^(2/3)=<x=<1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Well, the first key thing to recognize is that we need the correct order for the bounds to compute this double integral.
So I switch it from x=y^(2/3) and x=1 TO y=x^(3/2) and y=1
and x=0 to x=1 becomes the x boundaries.

So now I integrate with respects to the y boundary first as that is the only way to solve this problem.
I get y^2/2*e^(x^4-1) from y=1 to y=x^(3/2)

This then becomes the integral from x=0 to x=1 of 1/2(e^(x^4-1)-x^3*e^(x^4-1))dx

And I am clueless on how to solve this. I've been trying to do u-substitution for a while now knowing that letting u = x^4-1 and du=x^3 I can work with something.

Did I do something wrong in my previous steps?
Graph the region over which the integration takes place.

If ##\displaystyle\ x > y^{2/3}\,,\ ## then ##\displaystyle\ y < x^{3/2}\ ## .

So your limits of integration are not correct for integral with the order of integration reversed.

Likes RJLiberator
I believe I did, where it is 'close' to a x^2 parabola and the region is beneath x^(3/2) from x=0 to x=1 and from y=0 to y=x^3/2

No?

RJLiberator said:
I believe I did, where it is 'close' to a x^2 parabola and the region is beneath x^(3/2) from x=0 to x=1 and from y=0 to y=x^3/2

No?
Right.

y goes from 0 to x3/2..

What is ##\displaystyle\ \int_0^{x^{3/2}} y\, dy\ ## ?

Likes RJLiberator
Well, that is just y^2/2 evaluated at the bounds so
x^(3) is what it is.

However, ah...
So you are saying my bounds for y in the initial setup were messed up.

I had them going from y=x^(3/2) to y=1 and you are claiming that they go from y=0 to y=x^(3/2)

Hm. Let me check to see if this makes sense. I'm not sure how this makes sense.
Original bounds have y=0 to y=1. And x=y^(2/3) to x=1.
Switching them results in x=0 to x=1 and y=x^(3/2) to y=1, no?

Last edited:
You should integrate from y=0. Then that -1 will go away.

Likes RJLiberator
Why can I integrate from y=0 to y=x^(3/2) instead of y=x^(3/2) to y=1.

How can I do this?

RJLiberator said:
Why can I integrate from y=0 to y=x^(3/2) instead of y=x^(3/2) to y=1.

How can I do this?
Look at the following.

SammyS said:
Graph the region over which the integration takes place.

If ##\displaystyle\ x > y^{2/3}\,,\ ## then ##\displaystyle\ y < x^{3/2}\ ## .

So your limits of integration are not correct for integral with the order of integration reversed.
Let me repeat, graph the region of integration.

Likes RJLiberator
BINGO.
That makes sense.
In my original interpretation I was taking the incorrect region. This means I need to use y=0 to y=x^(3/2) as the correct region. BINGO. Now let's see how I handle this.

My answer becomes 1/8-1/8e
and I am fairly confident that this is correct thanks to you guys showing me my wrong interpretation of the region. Thank you.

FAQ: Double Integral of Exponential Function with Changing Bounds

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a region, where the region is defined by two variables.

What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have many applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, mass, center of mass, moments of inertia, and other quantities in two-dimensional space.

How do I solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you need to first identify the region of integration and the limits of integration for each variable. Then, you can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or Fubini's theorem to evaluate the integral.

What is the difference between a single integral and a double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one-dimensional space, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. Single integrals have one variable of integration, whereas double integrals have two variables of integration.

What are some common mistakes when solving double integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving double integrals include forgetting to change the order of integration, using the wrong limits of integration, and not considering the symmetry of the region. It is also important to be careful with signs and to simplify the integrand before integrating.

Back