Double integral of general region

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the integral for $\int_{ }^{ }\int_{D}^{ }xy\,dA$ where $D$ is a region bounded by $y=x$, $y=2x-2$, and $y=0$. The conversation also talks about finding the $dx\,dy$ and $dy\,dx$ integrals and evaluating the simpler one, as well as the process of sketching the region and making a mistake with the graph. The final answer is \(\frac{5}{6}\).
skate_nerd
This problem has brought something up that's making my brain wrinkle. It says to find the integral for
$$\int_{ }^{ }\int_{D}^{ }xy\,dA$$
where \(D\) is the region bounded by \(y=x\), \(y=2x-2\), \(y=0\). I have to find the \(dx\,dy\) integral and then find the \(dy\,dx\) integral and evaluate the simpler one.
I sketched the region which was easy enough and then found the easier of the two orders which was the \(dx\,dy\) integral and I got
$$\int_{0}^{2}\int_{y}^{\frac{y+2}{2}}xy\,dx\,dy$$
This evaluates to \(\frac{1}{6}\).
However I tried for the \(dy\,dx\) integral
$$\int_{0}^{2}\int_{2x-2}^{x}xy\,dy\,dx$$
and got the answer \(\frac{-38}{8}\) which definitely doesn't make sense. Where am I going wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: double integral of general region

skatenerd said:
This problem has brought something up that's making my brain wrinkle. It says to find the integral for
where \(D\) is the region bounded by \(y=x\), \(y=2x-2\), \(y=0\). I have to find the \(dx\,dy\) integral and then find the \(dy\,dx\) integral and evaluate the simpler one.
I sketched the region which was easy enough and then found the easier of the two orders which was the \(dx\,dy\) integral and I got
and got the answer \(\frac{-38}{8}\) which definitely doesn't make sense. Where am I going wrong?

Your bounds are correct, so it must be with your integration. What did you do?

Re: double integral of general region

skatenerd said:
On the basis of geometrical evidence the integral has to be splitted into two integrals... $\displaystyle \int \int_{D} x\ y\ dA = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{x} x\ y\ d y\ d x + \int_{1}^{2} \int_{0}^{2x-2} x\ y\ d y\ d x$ (1)... and the integration is left to You...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Chisigma, are you positive that this is the right way to do it? Because the problem states:
a) Set up the integral for \(\int_{ }^{ }\int_{D}^{ }xy\,dA\) as a \(dydx\) integral
b) Set up the integral for \(\int_{ }^{ }\int_{D}^{ }xy\,dA\) as a \(dxdy\) integral
c) Solve the simpler of the two integrals
So is the wording of this problem just meant to be tricky, since its actually going to be two integrals for each order of \(\int_{ }^{ }\int_{D}^{ }xy\,dA\)?

Oh and @Prove It, turns out I did indeed mess up both of those integrals (Doh) however I am positive I got the right answers now and they are still different from each other. I got \(\frac{5}{6}\) for the \(dx\,dy\) integral and \(\frac{2}{3}\) for the \(dy\,dx\) integral.

Actually Chisigma, your graph is wrong, you didn't plot \(y=2x-2\) correctly, and that's where the error comes up. I used your technique with the correct region of integration and got the integrals
$$\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{x}xy\,dy\,dx\,+\int_{1}^{2}\int_{2x-2}^{x}xy\,dy\,dx$$
and ended with the answer \(\frac{5}{6}\) which is the same as what I got from the other order integral
$$\int_{0}^{2}\int_{y}^{\frac{y+2}{y}}xy\,dx\,dy$$
That problem just claimed about 4 hours of my life (Whew)

Observing with care I have noticed that the region is bounded by $\displaystyle y = x,\ y = 2 x - 2,\ y=0$ and not by $\displaystyle y = x,\ y = 2 - 2 x,\ y=0$ so that my previous answer is not correct...

... very sorry! (Crying)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

skatenerd said:
Actually Chisigma, your graph is wrong, you didn't plot \(y=2x-2\) correctly, and that's where the error comes up. I used your technique with the correct region of integration and got the integrals
$$\int_{0}^{1}\int_{0}^{x}xy\,dy\,dx\,+\int_{1}^{2}\int_{2x-2}^{x}xy\,dy\,dx$$
and ended with the answer \(\frac{5}{6}\) which is the same as what I got from the other order integral
$$\int_{0}^{2}\int_{y}^{\frac{y+2}{y}}xy\,dx\,dy$$
That problem just claimed about 4 hours of my life (Whew)

Please actually show us your attempt at the integration. There's probably just some very small mistake in amongst it which is giving you the wrong answer...

Prove It, my meaning in the last message was that I finally got matching results from the two separate ordered integral set ups. The answer is \(\frac{5}{6}\).

Related to Double integral of general region

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that calculates the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region.

2. How is a double integral different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve in one-dimensional space, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. This means that a double integral requires two variables and two sets of limits, whereas a single integral only requires one set of limits.

3. What is the purpose of calculating a double integral of a general region?

The purpose of calculating a double integral of a general region is to find the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. This can be useful in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics where calculating volume is necessary for solving problems or making predictions.

4. How do you set up the limits for a double integral of a general region?

The limits for a double integral of a general region are determined by the boundaries of the region. These boundaries can be defined by equations or inequalities, and the limits are set by finding the intersections of these boundaries.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals of general regions?

Double integrals of general regions have many real-world applications. For example, in physics, they can be used to calculate the center of mass of an object or the moment of inertia of a rotating body. In economics, they can be used to calculate the total profit or loss from a production process. In engineering, they can be used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object or the surface area of a curved surface.