Double integral of ((x^3)+1)^(1/2)

In summary: Instead of integrating with respect to x first, try integrating with respect to y first. This may make the problem easier to solve. It is also worth looking into other substitution methods for cubic powers, such as factoring or using a different trigonometric substitution.
troyofyort
So I have to evaluate the integral from y=0 to y=1 of(the integral from x=(y^(1/2)) to x=1 of ((x^3)+1)^(1/2)dx)dy.

I've substituted the ((x^3)+1) with sec^2(u) since I used tan^2(u)=x^3. I'm wondering if this is the correct (or even a good) manner of solving this because I'm ending up with a very difficult equation to integrate anyways with odd bounds?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can use the tan^2(u) = x^3 substitution. I've seen people use tan^2(u) = x^2 substitution where the powers are the same.

Isn't there some other substitution you've studied with cubic powers?

Perhaps you could factor x^3 + 1?

Do you mean factor x^3+1 into (x+1)(x^2-x+1)?
Unfortunately I'm not well versed in trig sub so I'm lost on substitution with cubic powers so I'm currently looking it up.

I'm also thinking it would be easier to solve if I changed the solving for integral of f(x,y)dx first to solving integral of f(x,y)dy first

Last edited:
troyofyort said:
So I have to evaluate the integral from y=0 to y=1 of(the integral from x=(y^(1/2)) to x=1 of ((x^3)+1)^(1/2)dx)dy.

I've substituted the ((x^3)+1) with sec^2(u) since I used tan^2(u)=x^3. I'm wondering if this is the correct (or even a good) manner of solving this because I'm ending up with a very difficult equation to integrate anyways with odd bounds?
Try changing the order of integration.

Related to Double integral of ((x^3)+1)^(1/2)

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function of two variables over a two-dimensional region. It can be thought of as finding the volume under a three-dimensional surface.

2. How do you calculate a double integral?

To calculate a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can use one of several methods, such as using iterated integrals or converting to polar coordinates, to solve the integral.

3. What does the function ((x^3)+1)^(1/2) represent?

The function ((x^3)+1)^(1/2) represents a three-dimensional surface in space. The value of the function at a given point (x,y) gives the height of the surface at that point.

4. Why is the square root used in the function?

The square root is used in the function to ensure that the resulting surface is always positive. This allows for easier visualization of the surface and makes it easier to calculate the double integral.

5. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to find the area under a curve, calculate volumes of three-dimensional objects, and solve problems involving mass and moment of inertia. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate joint probabilities.

Back