Double Integral of x*y^3 + 1 over Surface r=1, tetha 0-Pi, z 0-2: Solving Guide

In summary, the given surface is half a cylinder and you need to find the differential of surface area.
kasse
Int Int (x*y^3 + 1) dS

where S is the surface r=1, tetha from 0 to Pi and z from 0 to 2.

How can I solve this integral? I haven't got a clue.

Physics news on Phys.org
What a peculiar question that asks you to evaluate an integrand in cartesian coordinates but defines the surface in cylindrical. I would start by converting x*y^3 to cylindrical coordinates. You should be able to see the solution more clearly then.

The given surface is half a cylinder. Convert to cylindrical coordinates. Do you know how to find the "differential of surface area"?

HallsofIvy said:
The given surface is half a cylinder. Convert to cylindrical coordinates. Do you know how to find the "differential of surface area"?

No. But I know that x=rcos(t) and y=rsin(t) in cylindrical coords.

Odd, if someone expects you to be able to do a problem like this then surely they expect you to be able to integrate over a surface area! Perhaps you need to review your text.

Since we are given that r=1, we have [itex]x= cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= sin(\theta)[/itex], and z= z. The "position vector" of any point on the surface is [itex] cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ z\vec{j}[/itex].

The derivative with respcect to [itex]\theta[/itex] is [itex]-sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] and the derivative with respect to z is [itex]\vec{k}[/itex]. The "fundamental vector product" is the cross product of those two vectors:[itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] and the length of that gives the "differential of surface area". [itex]\sqrt{cos^2(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta)}= 1[itex] so [itex]d\sigma = d\theta dy[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
My book simply says that

Int Int (xy^3+1) dS = Int Int dS + 0 = 2*Pi

I don't understand why...

I converted into cylindrical coords:

Int Int (r^5cos(t)sin((t))^3 + r) dr dt

But what are the limits now?

Had a little too much wine with dinner! There should be no "+ 1" in the square root. [itex]d\sigma= d\theta dz[/itex] is the correct differential.

In these coordinates, xy3+ 1 is [itex]cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta)+ 1[/itex] so you want to find
[tex]\int_{\theta= 0}^\pi\int_{z=0}^2 cos(\theta)sin^3(\theta)dzd\theta[/itex]

I understood it now finding some examples in my book. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

FAQ: Double Integral of x*y^3 + 1 over Surface r=1, tetha 0-Pi, z 0-2: Solving Guide

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space. It is represented by two integral signs and is typically used to solve problems involving multiple variables.

2. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you must first determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you can evaluate the integral using the appropriate integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the surface r=1, tetha 0-Pi, z 0-2?

The surface r=1, tetha 0-Pi, z 0-2 represents a cylindrical surface with a radius of 1, an angle ranging from 0 to Pi, and a height ranging from 0 to 2. It is a finite, circular surface that can be visualized as a cylinder with a height of 2 units.

4. How do you calculate the volume under a surface using a double integral?

To calculate the volume under a surface using a double integral, you must first express the surface as a function of two variables (in this case, x and y). Then, you can set up the double integral with the limits of integration and evaluate it to find the volume.

5. Can you provide a step-by-step guide for solving the given double integral?

Yes, here is a step-by-step guide for solving the given double integral of x*y^3 + 1 over the surface r=1, tetha 0-Pi, z 0-2:

1. Determine the limits of integration for both variables (x and y). In this case, x ranges from 0 to 1 and y ranges from 0 to 2.
  2. Express the given surface as a function of x and y: f(x,y) = x*y^3 + 1
  3. Set up the double integral: ∫0102 (x*y^3 + 1) dy dx
  4. Evaluate the inner integral first: ∫02 (x*y^3 + 1) dy = x*y^4/4 + y ∣02 = 2x + 2
  5. Substitute this into the outer integral and evaluate: ∫01 (2x + 2) dx = x^2 + 2x ∣01 = 3
  6. Therefore, the volume under the given surface is 3 units cubed.
Back