Double integral over triangular region

In summary, the conversation discusses how to integrate a given function over a triangular region by breaking it down into smaller integrals. The final answer is approximately 35000, but the conversation also mentions a simpler method of leaving numbers in powers of 2 to make the calculation easier.
anniecvc

Homework Statement

Integrate f(u,v)= v - sqrt(u) over the triangular region cut from the first quadrant by the line u+v=64 in the uv plane.

Homework Equations

I am assuming u is the equivalent of the x-axis in the xy plane and v the equivalent of y in the xy plane.
I am taking the triangle as a Type I region.

The Attempt at a Solution

limits of integration:

0≤u≤65, 0≤v≤64-u

∫ ∫ v-sqrt(u) dvdu

∫ (1/2)v2 - sqrt(u)v evaluated from v=0 to v=64-u

∫ 2048 - 64u + (1/2)u2 - 64*u1/2 + u3/2

2048u - 32u2 + (1/6)u3 - (2/3)*64*u3/2+(2/5)*u5/2 evaluated from u=0 to u=64

I get a really narley fraction, namely, 4638576/30, which is of course wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks good, I double checked your calculations and came to a different result. Double check the final evaluation. I came up with ~ 8,000 (the exact value is for you to figure out).

Likes 1 person
Jufro said:
Everything looks good, I double checked your calculations and came to a different result. Double check the final evaluation. I came up with ~ 8,000 (the exact value is for you to figure out).
I get more like 32000.

Yes, the exact answer is 524288/15 ~ 35000.

This was a terrible problem not because it was difficult but because the numbers were so ugly.

anniecvc said:
Yes, the exact answer is 524288/15 ~ 35000.

This was a terrible problem not because it was difficult but because the numbers were so ugly.

It's not so bad if you leave as much as possible in powers of 2.
211u - 25u2 + (1/6)u3 - (2/3)*26*u3/2+(2/5)*u5/2 where u = 26:
217 - 217 + (1/6)218 - (2/3)*26*29+(2/5)*215 = 216{(2/3) - (1/3)+(1/5)} = 219/15

Likes 1 person

Related to Double integral over triangular region

What is a double integral over a triangular region?

A double integral over a triangular region is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object that is bounded by a triangular base and extends upwards towards a flat surface. It is a type of integration that involves integrating a function over two variables, typically represented by x and y coordinates.

How do you set up the limits of integration for a double integral over a triangular region?

To set up the limits of integration for a double integral over a triangular region, you first need to determine the bounds for your variables (x and y). This can be done by looking at the vertices of the triangle and setting up inequalities based on the x and y coordinates of those points. Then, you integrate the function over these bounds to calculate the volume of the triangular region.

What is the geometric interpretation of a double integral over a triangular region?

The geometric interpretation of a double integral over a triangular region is that it represents the volume of a three-dimensional shape. The triangular region acts as the base of the shape, while the function being integrated represents the height of the shape at each point within the triangle. The double integral sums up the volume of infinitely thin slices of this shape, resulting in the total volume of the region.

What are the applications of double integrals over triangular regions?

Double integrals over triangular regions have various applications in mathematics and science. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the volume of three-dimensional objects, such as tanks, pipes, and containers. They are also used in economics to calculate the total revenue of a company or the total cost of producing a product. In addition, they have applications in computer graphics for calculating the surface area of 3D models.

What are some common techniques for solving double integrals over triangular regions?

There are several techniques for solving double integrals over triangular regions, including iterated integrals, the change of variables method, and the polar coordinates method. Iterated integrals involve integrating over one variable at a time, while the change of variables method involves transforming the integral into a simpler form using a change of variables. The polar coordinates method is used when the triangular region has a circular or elliptical shape. Additionally, software programs such as Mathematica and Matlab can also be used to solve double integrals over triangular regions.