Double integral - reversing order

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the region of integration and correctly reversing the order of integration in a double integral. The person is unsure if they are correctly understanding the limits and asks for confirmation before posting their solution. They also mention a question with a graph and ask if the region of integration is on the wrong side of the line. The other person confirms that the region is correct, but points out that ln(y) should be the lower bound for x when integrating.
exidez

Homework Statement

[tex]
\displaystyle\int^1_0 \int^{e^x}_{1}dydx
[/tex]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

the above integral i can do with no problem, but changing the order of integration give me a totally different answer and need to know if i am doing it correct

First off
[tex]
\displaystyle\int^1_0 \int^{e^x}_{1}dydx = e^1 - 2
[/tex]

To reverse the order of integration i get:
[tex]
\displaystyle\int^{e^1}_1 \int^{ln(y)}_{0}dxdy
[/tex]
which gives me 1 which is wrong

Before i post how i went about my solution I want to know if i am doing my limit right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw a graph of the integration region? x doesn't go from 0 to ln(y).

it goes from 0 to ln(e^1) which is 0 to 1

considering y=e^x then x = ln(y)

but I am guessing my understanding is wrong

Last edited:
Ok, these are two questions alike. Can you please tell me if i am completely misunderstanding the region of integration.
I need to show by reversing the order that i still get the same answer.

[URL]http://www.users.on.net/~rdenker/assign1.jpg[/URL]

EDIT: ok, another quick question. For Question 4 in the image here, is my region of integration on the wrong side of the line?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your graph is on the correct side of the line. But look at it and imagine integrating dx. Isn't ln(y) the LOWER bound for x?

that seemed so hard to wrap my head around at the time but is so simple now
thanks!

Related to Double integral - reversing order

1. What is a double integral and what does it mean to reverse the order?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a surface in two dimensions. Reversing the order of integration means changing the order in which the variables are integrated, typically from innermost to outermost or vice versa.

2. Why would you need to reverse the order of a double integral?

Reversing the order of a double integral may be necessary to simplify the calculation or make it easier to evaluate. It can also be used to change the orientation of the integration, which may be required in certain applications.

3. How do you reverse the order of a double integral?

To reverse the order of a double integral, you simply need to change the limits of integration and the order in which the variables are integrated. This can be done by rewriting the integral or by using a transformation such as u-substitution.

4. What are the benefits of reversing the order of a double integral?

Reversing the order of a double integral can make the calculation simpler, especially when the integrand is a complex function. It can also help in visualizing the area under the surface in different orientations, providing insight into the problem being solved.

5. Are there any limitations to reversing the order of a double integral?

While reversing the order of a double integral can be helpful in certain situations, it is not always possible or appropriate. The limits of integration may need to be adjusted and certain transformations may not be possible, depending on the integrand and the problem being solved.