Double Integral Setup for a Rectangular Region

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, to set up a double integral, we need to determine the region of integration, which in this case is a rectangular region with vertices (-pi, 0), (pi, 0), (pi, pi/2), (-pi, pi/2). Then, we can choose to use either horizontal or vertical strips to integrate, which will affect the limits of integration. In this conversation, both options were presented, with the limits of integration clearly stated for each case.
harpazo
Set up an integral for both orders of integration.
DO NOT EVALUATE THE INTEGRAL.

Let S S = double integrals

Let R = region

S S sinx cos x dA

R: rectangle with vertices (-pi, 0), (pi, 0), (pi, pi/2), (-pi, pi/2)

I am having such a hard time with the set up.

I can graph the region but have no idea how to proceed from there. I need solution steps.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If we use horizontal strips, then we would use:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin(x)\cos(x)\,dx\,dy\)

If we use vertical strips, then:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin(x)\cos(x)\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \,dy\,dx\)

MarkFL said:
If we use horizontal strips, then we would use:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin(x)\cos(x)\,dx\,dy\)

If we use vertical strips, then:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin(x)\cos(x)\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \,dy\,dx\)

Wonderful but I do not know what limits of integration apply to dxdy as oppossed to dydx.

Harpazo said:
Wonderful but I do not know what limits of integration apply to dxdy as oppossed to dydx.

I've given the limits in the definite double integrals. :D

MarkFL said:
I've given the limits in the definite double integrals. :D

How do you decide which limits to apply for each double integral?

Harpazo said:
How do you decide which limits to apply for each double integral?

From the region $D$...in this case it is a rectangular region bounded by the lines \(\displaystyle x=-\pi,\,x=\pi,\,y=0,\,y=\frac{\pi}{2}\).

MarkFL said:
From the region $D$...in this case it is a rectangular region bounded by the lines \(\displaystyle x=-\pi,\,x=\pi,\,y=0,\,y=\frac{\pi}{2}\).

I will practice more similar questions.

Related to Double Integral Setup for a Rectangular Region

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the volume under a surface in a 3D space. It involves integrating a function with two variables over a specific region.

2. How do you set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both variables. Then, you need to determine the order of integration, either by taking the integral with respect to one variable first and then the other, or by using the appropriate iterated integral. Finally, you need to plug in the limits of integration and evaluate the integral.

3. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of a 2D object. They are also useful in calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects and for solving optimization problems.

4. Can you explain the concept of changing the order of integration?

Changing the order of integration involves switching the order in which the integrals are evaluated. This can be done by converting the double integral to an iterated integral and changing the limits of integration accordingly. It is often used to simplify the evaluation of a double integral and make it more manageable.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when setting up double integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when setting up double integrals include choosing the wrong limits of integration, using the wrong order of integration, and forgetting to include all necessary variables. It is also important to correctly identify the region of integration and choose the appropriate type of integral (i.e. polar, rectangular, cylindrical, etc.).