Double Integral Setup for Finding Area with Given Bounds

In summary: So the final answer would be u^2/2, which makes more sense. Thanks for catching that!In summary, the conversation discusses setting up and solving a double integral to find the area between a line and a bounded region. The correct setup of the integral is given, and the solution is found to be u^2/2.
TheBestMilk

Homework Statement

I have the bounds, 0≤y[itex]_{1}[/itex]≤2, 0≤y[itex]_{2}[/itex]≤1, and 2y[itex]_{2}[/itex]≤y[itex]_{1}[/itex].

I now have a line u=y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-y[itex]_{2}[/itex] and I'm trying to find the area such that y[itex]_{2}[/itex]≥y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-u.

The integral comes down to two parts, the first of which I'm stuck on (when 0≤y1≤1). I'm pretty sure I have one way setup correctly, when I take the integral of dy2 first and then dy1, but for some reason I cannot get the double integral of dy1dy2 to workout properly. This is what I have the setups as:

[itex]\int^{u}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{u+y_{2}}_{2y_{2}}dy_{1}dy_{2}[/itex] = u[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2 (This is the one I believe is correct)

[itex]\int^{2u}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{y_{1}/2}_{y_{1}-u}dy_{2}dy_{1}[/itex] = u[itex]^{2}[/itex] (This is the one I cannot get to match the first)

Any insight would be very much appreciated. I'm not sure what bounds I'm messing up, but I'm sure that's it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheBestMilk said:

Homework Statement

I have the bounds, 0≤y[itex]_{1}[/itex]≤2, 0≤y[itex]_{1}[/itex]≤1, and 2y[itex]_{2}[/itex]≤y[itex]_{1}[/itex].

I now have a line u=y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-y[itex]_{2}[/itex] and I'm trying to find the area such that y[itex]_{2}[/itex]≥y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-u.

what is the limit for y2 ?

Ah, it seems I wrote the original bounds incorrectly. Sorry about that.

The bounds are actually: 0≤y2≤1, 0≤y1≤2, and 2y2≤y1.

Thanks!

TheBestMilk said:
Ah, it seems I wrote the original bounds incorrectly. Sorry about that.

The bounds are actually: 0≤y2≤1, 0≤y1≤2, and 2y2≤y1.

Thanks!

its [itex]\int^{u}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int^{\frac{y1}{2}}_{0}[/itex]dy[itex]_{2}[/itex]dy[itex]_{1}[/itex] + [itex]\int^{2u}_{u}[/itex][itex]\int^{\frac{y_{1}}{2}}_{y_{1}-u}[/itex]dy[itex]_{2}[/itex]dy[itex]_{1}[/itex]

Thank you very much. That makes perfect sense to me. Next time I'll draw the graph better to scale, which I think was throwing off where the y2 = y1 - u line was above the xaxis.

Thanks!

TheBestMilk said:
Thank you very much. That makes perfect sense to me. Next time I'll draw the graph better to scale, which I think was throwing off where the y2 = y1 - u line was above the xaxis.

Thanks!
you are welcome !
but though i figured out what was wrong and set up the limits correctly I'm getting [itex]\frac{-u^{2}}{2}[/itex], have you worked it out? , if yes pls show me

Hey,

Sorry it's been a few days. I had a friend in from out of town and a test in another class I was studying for. This is what I managed to come up with:

[itex]\int^{u}_{0}\int^{y_{1}/2}_{0} dy_{2}dy_{1} + \int^{2u}_{u}\int^{y_{1}/2}_{y_{1}-u} dy_{2}dy_{1}[/itex]
= [itex]\int^{u}_{0} \frac{y_{1}}{2}dy_{1} + \int^{2u}_{u} (-\frac{1}{2}y_{1} -u)dy_{1}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{1}{4}u^{2} + (-\frac{1}{4}(4u^{2}) + 2u^{2} + \frac{1}{4}u^{2} - u^{2})[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{1}{4}u^{2} + \frac{1}{4}u^{2}[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{u^{2}}{2}[/itex]

Thanks again for the help setting it up. I'm pretty sure I got the integral right.

TheBestMilk said:
Hey,

Sorry it's been a few days. I had a friend in from out of town and a test in another class I was studying for. This is what I managed to come up with:

[itex]\int^{u}_{0}\int^{y_{1}/2}_{0} dy_{2}dy_{1} + \int^{2u}_{u}\int^{y_{1}/2}_{y_{1}-u} dy_{2}dy_{1}[/itex]
= [itex]\int^{u}_{0} \frac{y_{1}}{2}dy_{1} + \int^{2u}_{u} (-\frac{1}{2}y_{1} -u)dy_{1}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{1}{4}u^{2} + (-\frac{1}{4}(4u^{2}) + 2u^{2} + \frac{1}{4}u^{2} - u^{2})[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{1}{4}u^{2} + \frac{1}{4}u^{2}[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{u^{2}}{2}[/itex]

Thanks again for the help setting it up. I'm pretty sure I got the integral right.
You are welcome , it's nice to help each other so same to you :) , I think the 2nd integral must be [itex] \int^{2u}_{u} (-\frac{1}{2}y_{1} +u)dy_{1}[/itex] , Am i right ?

Yep, you're right. Forgot to carry that negative sign through.

Related to Double Integral Setup for Finding Area with Given Bounds

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral that involves integrating over a two-dimensional region instead of a one-dimensional interval. It is used to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. What does the setup for a double integral involve?

The setup for a double integral involves defining the boundaries of the two-dimensional region, choosing an appropriate order of integration, and selecting the appropriate limits of integration for each variable.

3. How is the order of integration determined for a double integral?

The order of integration is typically determined by the shape and boundaries of the region being integrated over. In general, it is easier to integrate over the variable with the simpler limits first, and then integrate over the remaining variable.

4. What are the different types of double integral setups?

There are two main types of double integral setups: rectangular and polar. Rectangular setups involve integrating over a rectangular region, while polar setups involve integrating over a circular or annular region.

5. How are double integrals used in real-world applications?

Double integrals have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the volume of an irregularly shaped object, determine the center of mass of a two-dimensional object, and calculate the area under a curve on a two-dimensional plane.