Double Integral Substitution Techniques for Evaluating Complex Integrals

In summary, the student was struggling to solve a integral and was stuck. They found an easier way to do it after substituting and creating two variables.
killpoppop

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral.

1|0 s|0 ( t . sqrt ( t2 + s2 ) dt dsI hope the way I've written it makes some sort of sense.

The Attempt at a Solution

After getting my head around changing the order of integration I get hit with this question and for some reason am totally stumped.

First idea was to switch the order to leave you differentiating with respect to s first.
Which means your just integrating a fairly simple function?

Then instead of following this through my brain just kept saying substitution, substitution.

Using the original integral given.
Setting: u = t2+s2
du/2 = t.dt

Then substitute in accordingly. But I was confused by how you change the interval values.
With single integration your simply left with something like u = x + 1
I looked around and found to make a substitution you need to create two variables say and u and a v. This got me interested but also slightly more confused.

Writing this out has cleared my head and lead me to believe that the first method could work and I will try it out now.

What I would appreciate is a method on how to solve the integral (if both of mine are wrong), but now mainly an explanation on substitution with two integrals.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using my first method gets very messy. And doesn't work. After the first integration your left with an integration by parts which just gets messier the more you do it. Very stuck.

killpoppop said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral.

1|0 s|0 ( t . sqrt ( t2 + s2 ) dt ds

I hope the way I've written it makes some sort of sense.

The Attempt at a Solution

After getting my head around changing the order of integration I get hit with this question and for some reason am totally stumped.

First idea was to switch the order to leave you differentiating with respect to s first.
Which means your just integrating a fairly simple function?

Then instead of following this through my brain just kept saying substitution, substitution.

Using the original integral given.
Setting: u = t2+y
du/2 = t.dt

Then substitute in accordingly. But I was confused by how you change the interval values.
With single integration your simply left with something like u = x + 1
I looked around and found to make a substitution you need to create two variables say and u and a v. This got me interested but also slightly more confused.

Writing this out has cleared my head and lead me to believe that the first method could work and I will try it out now.

What I would appreciate is a method on how to solve the integral (if both of mine are wrong), but now mainly an explanation on substitution with two integrals.

Thanks!

Here's your integral. You can double-click it to see my LaTeX script.
[tex]\int_{s = 0}^1 \int_{t = 0}^s t \sqrt{t^2 + s^2} dt~ds[/tex]

Try this substitution first:
u = t2 + s2
du = 2tdt
s is a constant as far as t is concerned.

Last edited:
Im just a little confused about what the interval would change to? Would this be right for the inner intergral?

Intervals are being changed using u = t2 + s2
Where t = s and t = 0

[tex]
1/2 \int_{u = s^2}^{u=2s^2} \sqrt{u} du
[/tex]

killpoppop said:
Im just a little confused about what the interval would change to? Would this be right for the inner intergral?
That's integral - no such word as "intergral."
killpoppop said:
Intervals are being changed using u = t2 + s2
Where t = s and t = 0

[tex]
1/2 \int_{u = s^2}^{u=2s^2} \sqrt{u} du
[/tex]

You don't need to change the limits of integration, as long as you undo your substitution before evaluating the antiderivative at the limits of integration. I find it easier to keep track of things in multiple integrals if I include the variable in the lower limit of integration.

If you need to change them, the substitution is u = t2 + s2, so when t = 0, u = s2, and when t = s, u = 2s2, which is what you have.

Edit: I didn't notice until now, but you are missing the outside integral. Don't forget it.

Ok cheers! Yeah couldn't be bothered to put up the outside INTEGRAL =]
Need to get the first one sorted first. Back to the pen and paper.

1/12?

Related to Double Integral Substitution Techniques for Evaluating Complex Integrals

1. What is a double integral substitution?

A double integral substitution is a method used to evaluate double integrals by substituting a new variable in terms of the original variables. This technique is commonly used when the original variables are difficult to integrate or when the limits of integration are complicated.

2. How do you perform a double integral substitution?

To perform a double integral substitution, first identify the appropriate substitution by analyzing the integrand and the limits of integration. Then, substitute the new variable into the original integral and convert the limits of integration using the new variable. Finally, evaluate the new integral using traditional integration techniques.

3. What are the benefits of using double integral substitution?

Double integral substitution can simplify the process of evaluating integrals and can also make it possible to solve integrals that would be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It can also help to visualize the problem in a different way and provide new insights on the integral.

4. What are some common substitutions used in double integrals?

Some common substitutions used in double integrals include polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These substitutions are particularly useful for integrals involving circular or spherical regions.

5. Are there any limitations to using double integral substitution?

While double integral substitution can be a powerful technique, it is not always applicable and may not always provide a solution. It is important to carefully analyze the integrand and limits of integration before deciding to use this method. Additionally, it may be difficult to determine the appropriate substitution for more complex integrals.