Double Integral: trouble manipulating algebra

In summary, the problem involves finding the double integral of e^(x^2+y^2) over the region bounded by y = sqrt(1-x^2) and y = |x|. The solution requires setting up separate ranges for positive and negative x values and using polar coordinates to integrate the function.
glog

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\int e^(^x^2^+^y^2^) dA[/tex] where D is the region bounded by y = sqrt(1-x^2) and y = |x|.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously I can draw this region out and see what it looks like, and I will have to split the integral into two for negative and positive x, however, I set up my ranges:

x <= y <= sqrt (1-x^2) and 0 <= x <= 1/sqrt(2) for the first quadrant, and I still do not know how to integrate the function e^(x^2+y^2) in a 'nice' way. I even tried reversing the variables, but it didn't make a difference since the function is symmetric in x and y.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind... this needs to be done with polar co-ordinates.

Thanks
-glog

Related to Double Integral: trouble manipulating algebra

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a surface in two dimensions. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in a plane.

What types of functions can be used in a double integral?

Any function of two variables can be used in a double integral, including polynomial, trigonometric, logarithmic, and exponential functions.

Why do some people have trouble manipulating algebra in double integrals?

Manipulating algebra in double integrals can be challenging because it involves multiple variables and complex equations. It requires a strong understanding of algebra and calculus concepts.

What strategies can be used to help with manipulating algebra in double integrals?

Some strategies that can be helpful in manipulating algebra in double integrals include using substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. It can also be helpful to practice and review algebra and calculus concepts.

How important is it to be able to manipulate algebra in double integrals?

Being able to manipulate algebra in double integrals is crucial for solving many types of problems in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is also an important skill for understanding and applying higher-level mathematical concepts.

Back