Double Integral Volume Problem

In summary, to find the volume of the region in the first octant bounded by the vertical plane 2x + y = 2 and the surface z = x2, you would use a double integral with the bounds of integration being a triangle with vertices (1, 0), (0, 0), and (0, 2). The integrand would be z (or x^2) and the resulting integral would give you the volume of the region.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Use double integrals to find the volume of the region in the first octant (x, y, z all more than or equal to zero) bounded by the vertical plane 2x + y = 2 and the surface z = x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having major problems visualizing this, which is stopping me from even getting started.

z = x2 I think I can visualize by itself.

But the plane is confusing me. My prof taught us that to sketch a plane, you find the zeros of the equation. So setting y and z to zero, we find the plane crosses the x-axis at 1 and similarly the y-axis at 2. But then the plane would be horizontal, not vertical...

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the plane crosses the x-axis at 1 and the y-axis at 2. It doesn't cross the z axis at all. Doesn't that make it parallel to the z axis? I.e. vertical?

Oh, for some reason I was visualizing it passing through the z axis at x = 0. But okay, now I see it.

I think the setup is going to be ∫∫ x 2 dA.

I'm not really sure how the bounds on the integral here work though. Usually I draw a diagram and look at what shape the "base" should have in the xy plane. It kind of looks like it should be a triangle of some kind, but I'm not sure.

Maybe a triangle with vertices (1, 0), (0, 0) and (0, 2)?

Last edited:
jumbogala said:
Oh, for some reason I was visualizing it passing through the z axis at x = 0. But okay, now I see it.

I think the steup is going to be ∫∫ x 2 dA.

I'm not really sure how the bounds on the integral here work though. Usually I draw a diagram and look at what shape the "base" should have in the xy plane. It kind of looks like it should be a triangle of some kind, but I'm not sure.

Maybe a triangle with vertices (1, 0), (0, 0) and (0, 2)?

You are definitely right about that triangle. And sure, integrate z (i.e. x^2) over it.

I figured out the equations for the sides of the triangle and then did the double integral like normal. It worked. Thanks!

Related to Double Integral Volume Problem

1. What is a double integral volume problem?

A double integral volume problem is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves calculating the double integral of a function over a two-dimensional region in order to find the volume under the surface of the function.

2. How is a double integral volume problem solved?

To solve a double integral volume problem, you must first set up the integral by determining the bounds of the region and the function to be integrated. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, to evaluate the integral and find the volume of the shape.

3. What are the applications of double integral volume problems?

Double integral volume problems have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve calculating the volume of three-dimensional objects. They can be used to find the mass and center of mass of a solid object, as well as to calculate fluid flow and electric charge distribution in a given region.

4. What are some common mistakes made when solving double integral volume problems?

Some common mistakes made when solving double integral volume problems include incorrect setup of the integral, forgetting to include the appropriate units in the final answer, and making errors in the integration process. It is important to carefully check each step of the solution to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can double integral volume problems be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, there are many software programs and calculators that can solve double integral volume problems. However, it is important to understand the concept and process behind solving these problems in order to effectively use these tools and verify the accuracy of the results.