Double integral volume problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the volume of a solid between a plane and a circle in the xy plane. The equation for the plane is z = 4x and for the circle is x^2 + y^2 = 16. The attempt at a solution involves using polar coordinates and determining the volume using triple integrals. The question of whether the answer is zero is brought up, but it is clarified that part of the plane lies above the xy plane and therefore there is a non-zero volume.
nate9519

Homework Statement

find the volume of the solid below the plane z = 4x and above the circle x^2 + y^2 = 16 in the xy plane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This totally confused me. I didn't think the plane z = 4x sat above the xy plane. If that is true then there would be no solid between the two graphs. I ended up putting zero for the answer. was I right or wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
nate9519 said:

Homework Statement

find the volume of the solid below the plane z = 4x and above the circle x^2 + y^2 = 16 in the xy plane

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This totally confused me. I didn't think the plane z = 4x sat above the xy plane.
Part of the z = 4x plane lies above the xy plane. Did you draw a sketch of the plane and the circle?
nate9519 said:
If that is true then there would be no solid between the two graphs. I ended up putting zero for the answer. was I right or wrong

$$\iint_R z \space dA = \iiint_V \space dV$$

$$\iiint_V \space dV = \iint_R \int_0^z \space dzdA$$

;)

Polar co-ordinates.

Related to Double integral volume problem

1. What is a double integral volume problem?

A double integral volume problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object using a mathematical technique called double integration. It is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to solve problems related to volume, mass, and other physical quantities.

2. How is a double integral used to solve volume problems?

A double integral is used in volume problems by integrating a function of two variables over a specific region in the x-y plane. This integration process is repeated twice, once to find the area of the cross-section at each point in the region, and then again to find the volume of the entire object by adding up these cross-sectional areas.

3. What are some real-world applications of double integral volume problems?

Double integral volume problems have many real-world applications, including calculating the volume of irregularly shaped objects, determining the mass of an object with varying density, and finding the center of mass of an object. They are also commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems related to fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and optimization.

4. What are the steps involved in solving a double integral volume problem?

The steps involved in solving a double integral volume problem are as follows:

1. Identify the region in the x-y plane where the object is located.
  2. Set up the integral by choosing an appropriate function and limits of integration.
  3. Integrate the function with respect to one variable.
  4. Integrate the resulting function with respect to the other variable.
  5. Evaluate the integral to find the volume of the object.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving double integral volume problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving double integral volume problems include using the wrong limits of integration, failing to account for negative values in the function being integrated, and misinterpreting the meaning of the result. It is also important to check the units of measurement and ensure they are consistent throughout the calculation.