Double integral with polar coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the given set and function and the request to express the integral in polar coordinates and calculate it. The attempted solution involves a variable substitution and establishing limits, but the solution does not match the given answer. The expert advises drawing the graph to better understand and derive the limits for polar coordinates.
Mathoholic!

Homework Statement

It is given a set defined as: 0≤x≤1, 0≤y≤1-x. With x,y in ℝ.

f(x,y)=1 (plane parallel to Oxy plane)

They ask you to express the integral ∫∫Setf(x,y)dxdy in polar coordinates and calculate it.

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ
y=rsenθ
r=√x2+y2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the variable substitution as:

0≤rcosθ≤1, 0≤rsenθ≤1-cosθ and ∫∫Setrdrdθ

After analysing it for a bit I figured that 0≤r≤1 and that 0≤θ≤[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].
However, the solution to the integral is 0.5. For the limits I've established, it gives me [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex].

I can easily calculate that integral in x,y coordinates but I'm having trouble defining the endpoints of r and θ when changing a set from x,y coordinates to r and θ coordinates.

Can you help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathoholic! said:

Homework Statement

It is given a set defined as: 0≤x≤1, 0≤y≤1-x. With x,y in ℝ.

f(x,y)=1 (plane parallel to Oxy plane)

They ask you to express the integral ∫∫Setf(x,y)dxdy in polar coordinates and calculate it.

Homework Equations

x=rcosθ
y=rsenθ
r=√x2+y2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the variable substitution as:

0≤rcosθ≤1, 0≤rsenθ≤1-cosθ and ∫∫Setrdrdθ

After analysing it for a bit I figured that 0≤r≤1 and that 0≤θ≤[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex].
However, the solution to the integral is 0.5. For the limits I've established, it gives me [itex]\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex].

I can easily calculate that integral in x,y coordinates but I'm having trouble defining the endpoints of r and θ when changing a set from x,y coordinates to r and θ coordinates.

Can you help me with this?

##r## doesn't go from 0 to 1. In your picture, pick some ##\theta## and draw the ##r## for that ##\theta##. ##r## goes from 0 to the ##r## value on the line. So write the equation of the line in polar coordinates and solve it for ##r##. That is your upper limit on ##r##.

What's senθ? :smile:

Using your given limits for x and y, you should draw the graph, so you can understand and derive the limits for polar coordinates.

Last edited:

Related to Double integral with polar coordinates

1. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. A double integral, on the other hand, is used to find the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space.

2. How are polar coordinates used in double integrals?

Polar coordinates are used to describe points in a plane using distance and angle from a fixed point. In double integrals, polar coordinates are used to evaluate integrals over circular or elliptical regions.

3. How do you convert a double integral from rectangular to polar coordinates?

To convert a double integral from rectangular to polar coordinates, the limits of integration are changed from x and y values to r and θ values. The integrand is also multiplied by the Jacobian of the transformation, which is equal to r.

4. What are the advantages of using polar coordinates in double integrals?

One advantage of using polar coordinates is that they can simplify the integration process for certain types of functions, such as those with circular or radial symmetry. They can also be used to evaluate integrals over regions that are difficult to represent in rectangular coordinates.

5. What are some real-world applications of double integrals with polar coordinates?

Double integrals with polar coordinates are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as moment of inertia, center of mass, and volume of revolution. They are also used in economics and statistics to calculate probabilities and expected values in circular or radial distributions.