Double Integral with Strange Limits of Integration

In summary: So instead of integrating over the region {(x,y) : 0<=x<=x^3, 0<=y<=1}, the integral is over {(x,y) : 0<=y<=x^3, 0<=x<=1}.In summary, the double integral is incorrectly written as ∫[0,1]∫[0,x^3] e^(y/x) dxdy and should be corrected to ∫[0,1]∫[0,x^3] e^(y/x) dydx. This error may have been made by the instructor and should be clarified before attempting to solve the problem.
bossman27

Homework Statement

For the double integral ∫[0,1]∫[0,x^3] e^(y/x) dxdy
(a) sketch the region of integration
(b) evaluate the integral and
(c) re-express the integral with the order of integration reversed

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I've never seen a double integral problem with the limits of integration with respect to x in terms of a function of x, not y. I couldn't find any examples online or in my book where this is the case. The problem is written such that your boundaries should be 0≤x≤x^3 and 0≤y≤1... but x=x^3 doesn't make any sense to me as an upper boundary for x.

I know how to do most double integral problems, reverse the order of integration, etc. but this has me stumped. Am I right in thinking this might be a typo? or is there some way to make sense of the region that I'm just not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bossman27 and welcome to PF!

Using LaTeX, here is how your double integral appears:
[tex]\int^1_0 \int^{x^3}_0 e^{(y/x)}\,.dxdy[/tex]
But it should have been:
[tex]\int^{x=1}_{x=0} \int^{y=x^3}_{y=0} e^{(y/x)}\,.dydx[/tex]

bossman27 said:

Homework Statement

For the double integral ∫[0,1]∫[0,x^3] e^(y/x) dxdy
(a) sketch the region of integration
(b) evaluate the integral and
(c) re-express the integral with the order of integration reversed

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is that I've never seen a double integral problem with the limits of integration with respect to x in terms of a function of x, not y. I couldn't find any examples online or in my book where this is the case. The problem is written such that your boundaries should be 0≤x≤x^3 and 0≤y≤1... but x=x^3 doesn't make any sense to me as an upper boundary for x.

I know how to do most double integral problems, reverse the order of integration, etc. but this has me stumped. Am I right in thinking this might be a typo? or is there some way to make sense of the region that I'm just not seeing?

0 <= x <= x3 doesn't make sense to me either. That should be 0 <= y <= x3, and 0 <=x <= 1.

Are you sure you don't have dx and dy switched?
This would make more sense.
$$\int_{x = 0}^1\int_{y = 0}^{x^3}e^{y/x}dy~dx$$

Mark44 said:
0 <= x <= x3

Are you sure you don't have dx and dy switched?
This would make more sense.
$$\int_{x = 0}^1\int_{y = 0}^{x^3}e^{y/x}dy~dx$$

I'm sure I did not switch them, that was exactly how the problem appears on this practice test... I was thinking that it was probably a typo as well, but as the final is tomorrow morning I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks to both of you for the quick responses!

It's entirely possible that you are essentially being asked for the anti-derivative, so you should think of the bound for the integral as a parameter, and the internal integral as being taken with respect to some dummy variable [itex]x^\prime[/itex].

Steely Dan said:
It's entirely possible that you are essentially being asked for the anti-derivative, so you should think of the bound for the integral as a parameter, and the internal integral as being taken with respect to some dummy variable [itex]x^\prime[/itex].
That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's applicable here. bossman27 said that the integral was exactly as it appeared on the practice test. I believe that the instructor switched the order of dx and dy by mistake.

Related to Double Integral with Strange Limits of Integration

1. What is a double integral with strange limits of integration?

A double integral with strange limits of integration is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the volume under a surface that is bounded by a region with irregular or unusual boundaries.

2. How is a double integral with strange limits of integration different from a regular double integral?

A regular double integral has defined and straightforward limits of integration, typically in the form of constant values or simple functions. A double integral with strange limits of integration involves more complex and varying bounds, often requiring a change of variables or the use of special techniques to evaluate.

3. What are some examples of strange limits of integration in a double integral?

Some examples of strange limits of integration include non-rectangular or non-linear boundaries, polar coordinates, and using functions as limits instead of constant values.

4. Why do we need to use double integrals with strange limits of integration?

Double integrals with strange limits of integration allow us to calculate the volume under a surface in situations where regular double integrals would not work. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some techniques for evaluating a double integral with strange limits of integration?

Some techniques for evaluating a double integral with strange limits of integration include using change of variables, converting to polar coordinates, and using theorems such as Green's Theorem or the Divergence Theorem. It is also important to break the region of integration into smaller, more manageable parts if possible.

Back