Double integral with transformation

In summary: I'll have to look into it more. In summary, the student is trying to solve an equation for an ellipse in terms of polar coordinates, but is unsure of how to get started. They also ask for help with understanding a more simplified approach to the problem.
glog

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\int x^2 dA[/tex] where the area D is boundd by the ellipse 5x^2 + 4xy + y^2 = 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to start this question. A few ideas I'm exploring are: 1. rewrite in polar co-ordinates (not sure how to write an ellipse in this form!), or 2. do a transformation from this ellipse to a circle (not sure how to do this either).

I anyone can suggest which method is more correct and get me started with a general idea of how to approach the problem, i would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably try to tackle it by changing variables to get it into a circle. I think I know how I would first try to do it, but I don't know if you'd know the method (and I don't remember if there's an easier, more straightforward way to see the transformation). Basically, I would write the left hand side of the equation for your ellipse as

[tex]\mathbf{r}^{\mathsf{T}}\mathsf{A}\mathbf{r} = 1[/tex]

where [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex] is a column vector with entries x and y and [itex]\mathsf{A}[/itex] is a 2 x 2 matrix. I would then find the eigenvalues of the matrix A and diagonalize it. Once diagonalized you might recall that you can write [itex]\mathsf{A} = \mathsf{P}^{-1}\mathsf{D}\mathsf{P}[/itex], where D is a diagonal matrix. Then define [itex]\mathbf{r}' = P\mathbf{r}[/itex]. This defines news coordinates with the x' and y' axes along the major and minor axes of the ellipse. i.e., the equation for the ellipse in terms of x' and y' will be

[tex]\left(\frac{x'}{a}\right)^2 + \left(\frac{y'}{b}\right)^2 = 1,[/tex]

where a and b are constants determined by your transformation. If you don't know the linear algebra to do all this, basically what you're trying to do is find a transformation

[tex]x' = Ax + By,[/tex]
[tex]y' = Cx + Dy,[/tex]

such that you get the above equation for the ellipse in terms of x' and y' (i.e., no xy, or x or y terms). Once you get to that point, you can define new variables u = (x'/a) and v = y'/b, which gives you the equation for a circle.

You then need to find the Jacobian to change variables in the integral to an integral over u and v.

Uh... was that helpful at all for you? Should I try to think of something simpler?

Yeah I definitely think that change of variables is reasonable, I just think there's any easier way to turn this into a circle than this matrix approach. Hmmm...

Related to Double integral with transformation

What is a double integral with transformation?

A double integral with transformation is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume under a surface or the area between two curves in a coordinate system that has been transformed. It involves using a change of variables to simplify the integrals and make them easier to solve.

What is the purpose of using a transformation in a double integral?

The purpose of using a transformation in a double integral is to make the integral easier to evaluate. By changing the variables and transforming the coordinate system, the integrals can be simplified and solved using basic integration techniques.

What are the steps for solving a double integral with transformation?

The steps for solving a double integral with transformation are: 1. Identify the region of integration in the transformed coordinate system. 2. Determine the transformation function and its inverse. 3. Use the transformation to rewrite the integrand in terms of the new variables. 4. Evaluate the new limits of integration. 5. Solve the integral using basic integration techniques. 6. Convert the result back to the original coordinate system, if necessary.

What are some common transformations used in double integrals?

Some common transformations used in double integrals include polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These transformations are particularly useful when the region of integration has a circular or spherical shape.

What are some applications of double integrals with transformation?

Double integrals with transformation have various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia of a 3D object. They can also be used to calculate the total charge, electric field, and potential energy distribution of a charged object. In economics, double integrals with transformation can be used to calculate the total revenue and profit of a company based on different production and pricing strategies.

Back