Double integrals over general regions.

In summary, the conversation discusses evaluating a double integral over a region bounded by a line and a parabola. The process involves choosing between x or y limits, and in this case, y was chosen due to the complexity of the region. The conversation also touches on the issue of negative values for y and the use of limits in evaluating the integral.
Petrus
Hello MHB,
Exemple 3: "Evaluate \(\displaystyle \int\int_D xy dA\), where D is the region bounded by the line \(\displaystyle y=x-1\) and parabola \(\displaystyle y^2=2x+6\)"
They say I region is more complicated (the x) so we choose y. so if we equal them we get \(\displaystyle x_1=-1\) and \(\displaystyle x_2=5\)
then as they said it's more complicated if we work with x limit so we make them to y limit. and we got \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2x+6}\) and \(\displaystyle y=x-1\) the y limit shall be \(\displaystyle y_1=4\) and \(\displaystyle y_2=-2\) but if you put 5 in \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2x+6}\) we get \(\displaystyle y=\pm 4\) so how does this 'exactly' work. Shall I check the value on both function? I reread the chapter and try think and think but never come up with an answer why I can't use lower limit as \(\displaystyle -4\)
What I exactly mean why don't we have our lowest limit as -4 insted of -2
(It may be little confusing, sorry)Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
but if you put 5 in \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2x+6}\) we get \(\displaystyle y=\pm 4\) so how does this 'exactly' work.

No , this is not correct .

ZaidAlyafey said:
No , this is not correct .
Hello Zaid
\(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{16}\) what do you mean

Regards,

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{16} \neq \pm 4\)

- - - Updated - - -

For this example it is better to separate the integral , we cannot define \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2x+6}\) because $y$ takes negative values.

ZaidAlyafey said:
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{16} \neq \pm 4\)

- - - Updated - - -

For this example it is better to separate the integral , we cannot define \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2x+6}\) because $y$ takes negative values.
The point is we can get y value two way. \(\displaystyle y=x-1\) and \(\displaystyle y=\sqrt{2x+6}\) in the first one if we put 5 we get positive 4 so I can just put in first one :)?

Related to Double integrals over general regions.

1. What is a double integral over a general region?

A double integral over a general region is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the volume under a surface over a two-dimensional region. It is a way to find the total value of a function over a specific area.

2. How is a double integral over a general region different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve on a single axis, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface over a two-dimensional region. It involves integrating over two variables, typically x and y, instead of just one.

3. What types of regions can be used in a double integral?

A double integral can be used over any type of region, including rectangles, circles, triangles, and more complex shapes. The only requirement is that the region must be bounded and continuous.

4. How is a double integral over a general region calculated?

A double integral over a general region is calculated by first finding the limits of integration for both variables, then setting up the integral using the appropriate formula for the shape of the region. This involves breaking the region into smaller, simpler shapes and integrating over each one separately.

5. What is the significance of double integrals over general regions?

Double integrals over general regions have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They allow for the calculation of important quantities such as volume, mass, and probability over complex regions, making them a valuable tool in scientific research and problem-solving.