Double Major in Engineering or Physics? Marketability of MET/ME

In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a Mechanical Engineering Technology associates degree but finds it too easy and is considering switching to a double major in engineering or physics. They are concerned about the marketability of an MET degree compared to an ME degree and may switch to the more difficult calculus-based core curriculum to make it easier to switch to ME in the future.
ljfe
I have already started a Mechanical Engineering Technology associates degree (I know, bad idea lol). My employer, being a machine shop, likes this and says to keep at it. I'm finding MET too easy; though I'm starting math next semester so that may change. I placed into Trig (the class before pre-calc). I think a bachelors in MET would be a waste. Should I double major in engineering or even physics? Is this marketable?

Physics news on Phys.org
I will say an MET degree is not as desirable as an ME degree for many reasons, money, status, PE registration and probably a few others. You can and should take courses that will be accepted for either (ie the ME route) and if you find that it becomes to hard for you (doesn't sound like it would), you can settle for the MET degree. If you take the more difficult calculus based core curriculum ie Calculus, Calculus based physics, chemistry (which MET might not require) in your first year studies, you will be in excellent shape to switch over to ME, if you want to.

FAQ: Double Major in Engineering or Physics? Marketability of MET/ME

1. What is the difference between a double major in engineering and physics?

A double major in engineering and physics involves completing coursework in both fields of study. Engineering focuses on the practical application of scientific principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems. Physics, on the other hand, is a more theoretical and fundamental study of the natural world, including matter, energy, and motion.

2. Is a double major in engineering and physics marketable?

Yes, a double major in engineering and physics can be highly marketable. It shows a strong foundation in both technical and scientific fields, as well as the ability to think critically and problem-solve. This combination of skills is valuable to many industries, including technology, manufacturing, and research.

3. What is the marketability of a double major in Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET) or Mechanical Engineering (ME)?

The marketability of a double major in MET or ME can vary depending on the job market and industry demand. However, both degrees can lead to career opportunities in fields such as transportation, energy, and manufacturing. Both degrees also provide a strong foundation in engineering principles and design, making graduates attractive to employers.

4. Will having a double major in engineering and physics limit my career options?

No, having a double major in engineering and physics can actually widen your career options. It allows you to pursue opportunities in both fields, as well as interdisciplinary roles that combine aspects of both disciplines. Additionally, the skills and knowledge gained from a double major can be applied to a variety of industries and job positions.

5. How long does it take to complete a double major in engineering and physics?

The time it takes to complete a double major in engineering and physics can vary depending on the specific program and course requirements. However, it typically takes around 4-5 years to complete both degrees. Some universities may offer accelerated programs or allow students to transfer credits, which can shorten the time needed to complete the double major.