Double major in physics and CS general questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of double majoring in physics and computer science, including questions about transferring credits and the potential increase in cost. It also touches on the difference between a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts degree. The expert notes that while transferring credits is possible, it may not result in a 100% transfer and the requirements for each major may differ between colleges. The cost of double majoring depends on the number of courses required and whether they can be completed in four years. The distinction between a Bachelor of Science and a Bachelor of Arts degree is not rigid and should not be a major concern.
asadpasat
I am currently junior in high school and I am thinking about double major in physics and computer science. But there are some generals questions that I don't really understand.
As far as I understand for each major you have classes that you have to take. If the classes overlap then you just have to take it once. But let's say that you are taking the classes and then you want to transfer. Is it possible to transfer to different college? (and still not loose your credits)
Would the cost of double majoring increase significantly?
Also when you major would you get Bachelor of Science? ( It's little confusing for me)
Anybody can recommend good programs ( colleges) to double major in physics and CS?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will address the normal situation in the US. Things are often different in other countries.

asadpasat said:
Is it possible to transfer to different college? (and still not loose your credits)

Yes, although your credits may not transfer 100%. The "new" college may not accept some credits from the "old" one as being equivalent to their own courses. Also, the two colleges are likely to have slightly different requirements for the same major(s).

asadpasat said:
Would the cost of double majoring increase significantly?

If you can fit all the courses into four years, your cost will not increase for a double major. This depends on how many courses the college requires for each major, and on how many "general education" courses they require for all students.

asadpasat said:
Also when you major would you get Bachelor of Science? ( It's little confusing for me)

Some schools offer only Bachelor of Science, some offer only Bachelor of Arts, some offer both. The distinction between the two is not rigid, and I would not stress out over the exact name of the degree, so long as it's a bachelor's degree. If you continue on to graduate school, admissions committees will look at the actual courses that you have taken, GRE exam scores, etc., not the precise title of your bachelor's degree.

jtbell said:
Yes, although your credits may not transfer 100%. The "new" college may not accept some credits from the "old" one as being equivalent to their own courses. Also, the two colleges are likely to have slightly different requirements for the same major(s).
If you can fit all the courses into four years, your cost will not increase for a double major. This depends on how many courses the college requires for each major, and on how many "general education" courses they require for all students.
THANKS A LOT

Related to Double major in physics and CS general questions

1. What is the advantage of double majoring in physics and computer science?

Double majoring in physics and computer science can provide a unique combination of skills and knowledge that can open up a variety of career opportunities. You will have a strong foundation in both fields, allowing you to work on interdisciplinary projects and approach problems from multiple perspectives.

2. Is it difficult to double major in physics and computer science?

Double majoring in two challenging fields can be demanding, but with careful planning and time management, it is definitely achievable. It is important to consult with advisors and create a balanced course load to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

3. Can I pursue a graduate degree with a double major in physics and computer science?

Yes, having a double major in physics and computer science can make you a strong candidate for many graduate programs. It can also give you a competitive edge when applying for research positions or industry jobs.

4. What kind of job opportunities can I expect with a double major in physics and computer science?

With a double major in physics and computer science, you can work in a variety of fields such as software development, data analysis, engineering, research, and more. You can also pursue graduate studies in areas such as artificial intelligence, quantum computing, and computational physics.

5. Can I still have a social life while double majoring in physics and computer science?

While double majoring can be demanding, it is important to find a balance between academics and social activities. Joining clubs or extracurricular activities related to your interests can help you meet like-minded individuals and make the most out of your college experience.