Double Major Physics and Environmental Studies

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of pursuing a career in climate science and environmental engineering. The individual expressed interest in advising the government and conducting research in computational modeling. They were considering majoring in Physics and Environmental Studies, but were unsure of the employment opportunities. It was suggested that they speak to a professor for guidance on which classes to take, as research experience may hold more weight than their major. It was also mentioned that job prospects may be stronger with a PhD, but there are also job offerings for individuals with a bachelor's degree in the field of air quality control.
numbersloth
So I'm really interested in climate science and I would possibly like to advise the government/world on climate policy as well as maybe go into environmental engineering. I'm also contemplating doing research in computational modeling since I enjoy CS. I was thinking of majoring in Physics and Environmental Studies. Does this sound like a good idea? What would my employment opps look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you really want to do environmental engineering, why not enter an environmental engineering program?

I go to a liberal arts school, so unfortunately that isn't an option...

The research you do will hold a lot more weight then your major. A student at my school, which is a small state school, majored in natural sciences but did a lot of research in atmospheric chemistry and is now at a top 10 phd program in physical/atmospheric chemistry. I'm not sure about job outlook but I'm sure its stronger with a PHD but I have seen job offerings locally around 4k a month with a bachelors doing air quality control work for the county government.

I would talk to the professor your doing research work with and ask what classes they recommend you take and major in whatever allows you to take the most classes he or she recommends.

Related to Double Major Physics and Environmental Studies

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a double major in physics and environmental studies?

A double major in physics and environmental studies allows for a unique combination of analytical and scientific skills that can be applied to a variety of fields. This dual degree can prepare students for careers in renewable energy, environmental consulting, climate research, and more.

2. Are there any specific courses that are required for this double major?

Each university may have different requirements for a double major in physics and environmental studies. However, common courses for this major include physics, calculus, ecology, environmental chemistry, and sustainability. It is important to consult with academic advisors to plan out a course schedule.

3. Can a double major in physics and environmental studies lead to graduate school opportunities?

Yes, a double major in these fields can open up opportunities for graduate studies in a variety of fields, including environmental science, physics, and engineering. This dual degree can also provide a strong foundation for pursuing a master's or PhD in environmental policy or sustainability.

4. Is there a high demand for professionals with a double major in physics and environmental studies?

With increasing concerns about climate change and the need for sustainable solutions, there is a growing demand for professionals who have a strong understanding of both physics and environmental studies. This dual degree can lead to job opportunities in industries such as renewable energy, environmental consulting, and government agencies.

5. What skills can students expect to develop through this double major?

Students pursuing a double major in physics and environmental studies will develop a range of skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and research. They will also gain a deep understanding of the physical principles that govern our environment and the impact of human activities on the Earth's systems. Additionally, students will develop strong communication and teamwork skills through collaborative projects and research opportunities.