Double majoring in electrical engineering and physics

zeroentropy
I am currently a high school graduate trying to plan my career. I am aware this does not count much in the higher scale of things, but the one thing i was really interested in since my elementary school years has been science. And i always liked to imagine myself being a "scientist" when i was little. I did have some romanticization going on, but i believe i have managed to put that aside to some extent.

Overall, i do want physics to be a major part of my life and i believe its just about the only way i can have a satisfying career. I never claimed i would be a hotshot physicist, i believe it might be a bit late for me for that. (My high school years were mostly spent studying for my entrance exam since my country has a very tough competition going on). Even if i will be working more towards physics in my university years, I was and am very okay with just doing my best and being a "mediocre" physicist. So i have been set on having a physics related career for the past year, have been doing my own research online and have been talking with various physics graduates from various areas (i have spoken with people pursuing their academic career, those working in a national lab, head professors and etc.).

A few weeks ago, i spoke to someone who has graduated with a physics degree from the university i was set on enrolling in, and he has told me to consider doing dual degree in electrical engineering and physics after i explained myself to him. I have always had an aversion towards engineering as i feel like it is more limited compared to pure physics. And being an engineer mostly does mean having to end up in industry related fields, so i was never keen on it. (i am aware a huge chunk of people with physics end up in industry, but i viewed it as my last resort really.). But after talking to him a dual degree did seem more rational to me. I do have my concerns about not being able to land a job even after my masters with how the world is going. Plus pursuing a career in physics does rely on luck, and i would not call myself lucky. Also my parents do think its mostly going to be a waste for me to do pure physics since i wont even have an engineering title, so having a dual would feel secure for both me and them. And after talking it out more as well, i do not think it would hinder and even be a positive thing for my scientific career if i were to decide to go after physics for masters rather than engineering.

I am aware how exhausting chasing a dual degree would be, but i have already accepted it and would not mind how hectic it is even. I do like a challenge and learning, and studying has been one of my hobbies really. But i do want to hear the opinion of people who are more knowledgeable than me, so my question is: How rational is it to get a dual degree in electrical engineering and physics for someone who is mostly planning a career in physics? (if everything does go as planned) What are the pros and cons? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Often the biggest challenge of a double major is that you're restricted in your freedom to take elective courses. As a physics major, sometimes you might have an option to explore more sub-fields of physics with introductory courses at the senior undergraduate level, whereas with the double major, you'll take the core courses and compliment those with core courses in electrical engineering.

The major advantage is that you'll come out the other end with a professional degree. People graduating with a physics degree only, who end up not going on in graduate school, have to figure out how to transition their academic education into a professional vocation. That's not an impossible task. Lots of people take the skills they've learned and translate them into careers involving programming, some aspects of engineering, finance, technical sales, etc. But it's just rare that you see someone recruiting candidates with a BSc in physics. (It may also be worth noting that while an electrical engineering major will qualify you for positions in electrical engineering, you can't rely on it to be a meal ticket. You'll still have to figure out what you want to do with it.)

Likes Vanadium 50
Let me reinforce something @Choppy said. If you double major, you will combine a minimal EE degree with a minimal physics degree.

Likes berkeman and DaveE
At the small college where I taught (in the US), it was common for physics majors to get their BS in physics, then go elsewhere for a master's in engineering, which usually took 1.5 to 2 years IIRC.

It seems like a good plan to me. Plus, the double major may position you very well for an experimental physics career. Usually when people think of “hotshot” physicists they think of the theoretical, but the “hotshots” still need a team with expert experimenters to actually get any real physics done.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Vanadium 50 said:
Let me reinforce something @Choppy said. If you double major, you will combine a minimal EE degree with a minimal physics degree.

Dale said:
It seems like a good plan to me. Plus, the double major may position you very well for an experimental physics career. Usually when people think of “hotshot” physicists they think of the theoretical, but the “hotshots” still need a team with expert experimenters to actually get any real physics done.
How do those match or not match?

symbolipoint said:
How do those match or not match?
Do they need to match for some reason?

Likes Vanadium 50
OP: A dual major in physics and EE is a good combo. Freshman-level physics is often a requirement for EE majors anyway. And intermediate-level physics will be beneficial for many EE topics; e.g., E&M if you were to become interested in antenna design; and E&M, quantum mechanics, and solid-state physics if you were to become interested in semiconductor electronic or optoelectronic devices.

Both majors, however, require intensive study. So you might want to consider a 5-yr instead of a 4-yr program. Besides preserving your health and sanity, the extra year would afford you the opportunity of advanced electives beyond the core curriculum. You'll then be well-positioned for a job or a grad program in either physics or EE.

Likes berkeman
symbolipoint said:
How do those match
I don't think they have to. Different perspectives are good, no?

I also only partially agree with @Dale. Physics is an experimental science - I agree with him 100% on that. Lots of people here think the only "real" physics is theoretical, and these people are, well, they are just wrong. However, I would not say a EE degree is universally helpful for experimenters - knowing something about circuits will help some people for sure. But an entire degree might (or might not) be overkill.

And there are opportunity costs. Every EE class you take is a physics class you don't.

Likes symbolipoint and berkeman
I would look up the requirements to do a double degree in EE and Physics and see if it's actually doable. As mentioned above you may be looking at a 5 year degree to be able to do so, at least if you want an accredited Engineering degree.

Alternatively if the Applied/Experimental Physics pathway interests you, you could look into doing Engineering Physics with a concentration in EE (though that probably won't be sufficient to meet the accreditation requirements to become a licensed professional Engineer).

Last edited:
gwnorth said:
Alternatively if the Applied/Experimental Physics pathway interests you, you could look into doing Engineering Physics with a concentration in EE (though that probably won't be sufficient to meet the accreditation requirements to become a licensed professional Engineer).
From my reading of Post #1, the OP is primarily interested in pursuing a career in "pure physics" (however you wish to construe that), with a EE dual major as a path to a solid backup Plan B career should they not fulfill their primary career goal. In that context, an Engineering Physics major with a EE concentration would not be a good alternative. But, as I indicated above, in that context, a dual physics-EE major would make good sense.

Dale said:
Do they need to match for some reason?
Something needs to match; something needs to overlap.

symbolipoint said:
Something needs to match; something needs to overlap.
What about two non-intersecting sets?

ETA: I don't understand the point of your original question.

Last edited:
CrysPhys said:
What about two non-intersecting sets?

ETA: I don't understand the point of your original question.
The two quotes I showed do not agree unless I just miss finding it. (as in post #6).

EE is an extremely broad subject area, everyone specializes to some extent from day one. Much of real world EE is based on self directed learning, learning on the job, mentors, or continuing education (like MS). So, consider what part of EE you would be interested in. Don't waste your time and effort learning things as an undergrad that you can (if you choose to) teach yourself later; programming languages (BTW, not the same as CS!) or digital design, for example. OTOH, there are things, like analog design that you would benefit from learning at university outside of the physics program; if you care, and if it's taught. Other areas, like EM or optics, may be covered pretty well in the classical physics part of your studies.

You don't learn everything as an undergrad. What you should learn is how to learn, common fundamental concepts, and what the subjects look like.

Likes PhDeezNutz and DeBangis21
symbolipoint said:
The two quotes I showed do not agree unless I just miss finding it. (as in post #6).
Why should they agree? We are different people and are allowed to have different opinions.

Dale said:
Why should they agree? We are different people and are allowed to have different opinions.
Then the original poster and anyone else is the only person to make the decision about EE, Physics, or in what way both EE and Physics.

I was hoping for curiosity how to make sense of the two quotes (post #6) together.

symbolipoint said:
Then the original poster and anyone else is the only person to make the decision about EE, Physics, or in what way both EE and Physics.

I was hoping for curiosity how to make sense of the two quotes (post #6) together.
In general, when a person is faced with a choice of options, each option will have an associated set of pluses and minuses. Different respondents will provide their individual sets of pluses and minuses. It is then the responsibility of the OP (or other reader faced with a similar scenario) to generate a consolidated set of pluses and minuses, apply their own personal weighting factor to each element in the consolidated set, and make a final decision that's right for them.

Likes symbolipoint