Double Pendulum and Normal Modes (Kibble problem)

In summary, the problem involves finding the equations of motion for a double pendulum with initial conditions of the pendulums being displaced in a straight line and the time derivatives at time 0 being 0. To solve the problem, you need to calculate the eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and normal modes of the system. However, the issue arises with determining the coefficients of the system without a full set of initial conditions (4 in total). While the positions at time 0 are known to be displaced in a straight line, this only specifies the relative position of the pendulums and does not provide exact positions. This indicates that more data is needed to fully solve the approximation of the problem.
Simfish
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1. A double pendulum, consisting of a pair, each of mass m and length
l, is released from rest with the pendulums displaced but in a straight
line. Find the displacements of the pendulums as functions of time.

===

So... this is a problem from Kibble's Classical Mechanics. Anyways, I can easily get the eigenvalues, eigenvectors, and normal modes for the double pendulum. But the problem is - I can't get the coefficients of the system unless I get a full set of initial conditions. Am I missing something? You need 4 sets of ICs to fully solve the approximation to this problem. The problem is -that you only know that the time derivatives (at time 0) are 0. As for the positions at time 0, all we know is that they're displaced in a straight line. But that just specifies one in relation to the other, and they could be fully horizontal. Or they could be displaced by any arbitrary angle...

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The equations of motion for the double pendulum:m\ddot{x_1} = -2ml\ddot{\theta_1}\sin\theta_1-ml\ddot{\theta_2}\sin(\theta_1-\theta_2)m\ddot{x_2} = -ml\ddot{\theta_1}\sin(\theta_1-\theta_2)-ml\ddot{\theta_2}\sin\theta_2l\ddot{\theta_1} = -g\sin\theta_1 + l\ddot{\theta_2}\cos(\theta_1-\theta_2)l\ddot{\theta_2} = -g\sin\theta_2 - l\ddot{\theta_1}\cos(\theta_1-\theta_2)The attempt at a solutionTo solve this problem, you need to first calculate the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the differential equation. With these, you can construct the normal modes of the system. Then, you need to calculate the initial conditions (ICs) of the system. This is where my problem lies. You need 4 ICs to solve the system - two for each pendulum. The only thing I know to be true is that the time derivatives of both pendulums at time 0 are 0. But what about the positions at time 0? All I know is that they're displaced in a straight line. But that just specifies one in relation to the other, and they could be fully horizontal. Or they could be displaced by any arbitrary angle... Is there a way to get the exact positions of the pendulums at time 0 with only this information? Or is more data needed?

Related to Double Pendulum and Normal Modes (Kibble problem)

1. What is a double pendulum?

A double pendulum is a physical system consisting of two pendulums connected by a rigid rod or string. The motion of a double pendulum is more complex than that of a single pendulum, as it involves multiple degrees of freedom.

2. What is the Kibble problem?

The Kibble problem, also known as the double pendulum problem, refers to the difficulty in finding an analytical solution for the motion of a double pendulum. This is due to the chaotic behavior of the system, making it difficult to predict the exact motion of the pendulums.

3. What are normal modes in a double pendulum?

Normal modes in a double pendulum refer to the different patterns of motion that the system can exhibit. These modes are characterized by the amplitudes and frequencies of the pendulums, and can be used to describe the overall motion of the system.

4. How does energy conservation apply to a double pendulum?

Energy conservation plays a crucial role in the motion of a double pendulum. As the system swings back and forth, energy is constantly transferred between the kinetic and potential energy of the pendulums. However, the total energy of the system remains constant, as long as there is no external force acting on it.

5. What are some real-world applications of the double pendulum?

The double pendulum has various applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can be used to model the motion of a gyroscope or a swinging bridge, and has also been studied as a chaotic system in the field of chaos theory. Additionally, the double pendulum has been used as a teaching tool to demonstrate complex dynamics and nonlinear behavior.