Double Slit - Observation Appartaus is Key?

In summary, the conversation discusses the observed and unobserved behavior of light particles and how the introduction of an observation device may affect the results. The concept of "curve" or "convex or concave" is also mentioned in relation to the observation process. The conversation also touches on the double slit phenomenon and the principle of single-particle interference. The delayed-choice quantum eraser thought experiment by Marlan Scully is suggested for further research.
gritter
Hi - brand new here, so go easy on me! :)

I have been considering that the major difference between the observed and the unobserved in relation to the behaviour of light particles appears to be missing something. Every "measurement" device used in the unobserved tests relies on linear components and apparatus - nothing is convex or concave. Bringing an observation device to the experiment introduces some kind of lens (doesn't it?) - surely this introduces a convex component to the apparatus/experiment..?

I have no idea how that pans out mathematically but having introduced an item of apparatus that (potentially) contains a curve must have some effect on how things are observed, rather than relying on results which, when unobserved, have no such curves(?)

I expect this has been discussed previously but I can't find mention of it, so I am offering it for discussion.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your post is very difficult to understand. What does this "curve" or "convex or concave" have anything to do with anything?

And in case you didn't know, such "double slit" phenomenon can also be observed in electrons, buckyballs, and superconducting current going through 2 different current branches. What "curve" or "convex/concave" would be equivalent there?

Zz.

Thanks for the response - as I said, I'm new to this but I have an avid interest.

I mentioned that there must be some sort of apparatus with which to observe how the particles enter each slit - what I am trying to convey, is;

Without observation, the objects seem to act differently that when they are observed. I am questioning the method of observation (which I am not clear on) - is the observation point which appears to affect the results via a lens of any sort?

I'm not sure where I am going with this, at all - but I am suggesting that applying an observation point which contains a curvature may have an affect on the observed object(s).

I'm sure as I move along with this, I can formulate my comments a little more clearly - they are not really all that clear to me at present - thanks for your patience!

The "observation" depends on the particle in question. If I have electrons going through a double slit, then I only need some sort of a "pick-up loop" at the slits. No "lens".

Please note that the double slit is an example of single-particle interference. Single-particle interference is the general principle at work here. You need to understand what this is first and realize that this occurs in many different systems, not just for light/photons.

Zz.

Thank you - I will study it some more and see if what I am implying works in other areas.

You might find researching the delayed-choice quantum eraser thought experiment of Marlan Scully, of use.

Related to Double Slit - Observation Appartaus is Key?

1. What is the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a beam of particles or waves (such as photons) through two slits and observing the pattern of interference on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the significance of the Double Slit Experiment?

The Double Slit Experiment is significant because it shows that particles can behave like waves and have wave-like properties, such as interference. This challenges traditional views of particles as solid and distinct entities and has implications for our understanding of the fundamental nature of reality.

3. How does the Observer Apparatus affect the Double Slit Experiment?

The Observer Apparatus, which involves observing or measuring the particles as they pass through the slits, causes the wave-like behavior of the particles to collapse into a single path. This is known as the collapse of the wave function and is a key aspect of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the role of Observation in the Double Slit Experiment?

The act of observing or measuring the particles in the Double Slit Experiment can change the behavior of the particles, causing them to behave either like waves or like particles. This highlights the role of the observer in shaping the outcome of the experiment, and raises philosophical questions about the nature of reality and the relationship between the observer and the observed.

5. How does the Double Slit Experiment relate to modern physics theories?

The Double Slit Experiment has been replicated and extended in various forms, and is still used today to study the behavior of particles and waves. It has also influenced modern physics theories, such as quantum mechanics and the Copenhagen interpretation, which attempt to explain the paradoxical results of the experiment.