Doubling Ionization of Tungsten: Effects on Energy?

In summary, if one mole of tungsten atoms is ionized with only one electron removed from each atom and accelerated through one electron volt, the resulting energy would be 96.48 kilojoules. If the same mole of tungsten atoms was doubly ionized with two electrons removed from each atom and accelerated through one electron volt, the energy gained would be twice as much. This is due to the fact that doubling the charge results in twice the kinetic energy gained.
illisil
TL;DR Summary
Ionization and the relationship to kinetic energy
Lets say that i have i mole of tungsten atoms. They are all ionized, only one electron is removed from each atom. If i accelerate this mole of tungsten atoms through one electron volt, i would get 96.48 kj. If the mole of tungsten was doubly ionized, two electrons removed from each atom, and accelerated through one ev, would i get twice the kilojoules?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is yes.

One persnickety comment: electron volts is a unit of energy. I think you meant one volt of electric potential.

One caveat: it would be cleaner to ask the question about a single atom rather than a mole of atoms. With many charged particles you will have to think about their mutual repulsion, and then the potential would depend on their density. The problem is that at any practical lab scale density of a whole mole of ionized atoms would have mutual repulsion so strong your one volt potential would be completely negligible in comparison. However, I get what you meant.

Even if the potential is dominated by their mutual repulsion, the idea that, given the same initial configuration, twice the charge gives twice the energy is still true. So your idea is still correct. Just, in that case, the 1 volt becomes unimportant.

Anyhow, rephrasing it, a doubly ionized atom falling through one volt of electric potential will gain twice as much kinetic energy as a singly ionized atom falling through the same potential.

Likes nasu and Dale

Related to Doubling Ionization of Tungsten: Effects on Energy?

What is meant by "doubling ionization" of tungsten?

Doubling ionization of tungsten refers to the process where tungsten atoms lose two electrons, resulting in a tungsten ion with a +2 charge. This can significantly alter the chemical and physical properties of the tungsten atoms.

How does doubling ionization affect the energy levels of tungsten?

Doubling ionization increases the energy levels of tungsten ions. The removal of two electrons results in a higher positive charge, which leads to stronger electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and the remaining electrons. This causes the energy levels to shift and generally increases the ionization energy required for further ionization.

What are the practical implications of doubling ionization of tungsten in industrial applications?

In industrial applications, doubling ionization of tungsten can affect processes like plasma generation, material processing, and the behavior of tungsten in high-temperature environments. It can influence the efficiency and stability of these processes by altering the electrical and thermal conductivity of tungsten.

How does doubling ionization impact the thermal properties of tungsten?

Doubling ionization can impact the thermal properties of tungsten by changing its thermal conductivity and heat capacity. The increased positive charge can lead to changes in electron mobility, which in turn affects how heat is conducted through the material. This can be crucial in applications where tungsten is used for its high melting point and thermal stability.

Can doubling ionization of tungsten be controlled or manipulated in a laboratory setting?

Yes, doubling ionization of tungsten can be controlled and manipulated in a laboratory setting using techniques such as electron impact ionization, laser ionization, or through the application of strong electric fields. These methods allow scientists to study the effects of ionization on tungsten's properties under controlled conditions.