Doubt about the polar equation of a Kepler orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of a polar equation for an orbit, which represents the position of a planet relative to a central body. The correct result for the differentiation is obtained by using Kepler's second law and inserting it into the equation to remove the term for \dot{\nu}.
pc2-brazil
Good morning,

I have a doubt about the differentiation of the polar equation of an orbit:
[tex]r=\frac{p}{1+e\cos\nu}[/tex]
It represents the relative position of a planet with respect to the central body.
Here, p is the parameter, e is the eccentricity and r is the radius of the planet measured from the focus (where the central body is located).
If I differentiate it, I obtain the following result:
[tex]\dot{r}=\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\left ( \frac{p}{1+e\cos\nu} \right )[/tex]
[tex]p \left(\frac{e\dot{\nu}\sin \nu}{(1+e\cos\nu)^2}\right) = \frac{h^2}{\mu} \left(\frac{e\dot{\nu}\sin \nu}{(1+e\cos\nu)^2}\right)[/tex]
However, according to the text I'm reading, I should be getting this:
[tex]\dot{r}=\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{p}}e\sin\nu[/tex]
I'm not sure on how I could get this result.
Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
From Kepler's second law you have the relationship [itex]r^2 \dot{\nu} = h[/itex] which you can insert into your equation to get rid of [itex]\dot{\nu}[/itex].

Filip Larsen said:
From Kepler's second law you have the relationship [itex]r^2 \dot{\nu} = h[/itex] which you can insert into your equation to get rid of [itex]\dot{\nu}[/itex].

OK, I tried it and it led me to the correct result.

Related to Doubt about the polar equation of a Kepler orbit

1. What is a polar equation of a Kepler orbit?

The polar equation of a Kepler orbit is an equation that describes the path of an object in polar coordinates as it orbits around a central body under the influence of gravity. It is derived from Kepler's laws of planetary motion.

2. How is the polar equation of a Kepler orbit derived?

The polar equation of a Kepler orbit is derived using Kepler's laws of planetary motion, which state that the orbit of a planet is an ellipse with the Sun at one of the foci. By converting the Cartesian coordinates of the ellipse into polar coordinates, the polar equation can be derived.

3. What are the variables in the polar equation of a Kepler orbit?

The variables in the polar equation of a Kepler orbit are the radius (r) and the angle (θ). The radius represents the distance between the object and the central body, while the angle represents the position of the object in its orbit.

4. How does the polar equation of a Kepler orbit change for different types of orbits?

The polar equation of a Kepler orbit changes depending on the eccentricity of the orbit. For a circular orbit, the eccentricity is 0 and the polar equation simplifies to r = a, where a is the semi-major axis of the orbit. For an elliptical orbit, the eccentricity is between 0 and 1, resulting in a more complex polar equation.

5. Can the polar equation of a Kepler orbit be used for all types of orbits?

No, the polar equation of a Kepler orbit is only applicable for orbits that follow Kepler's laws of planetary motion, which include elliptical and circular orbits. It cannot be used for other types of orbits such as parabolic or hyperbolic orbits.