[Doubt] Chemical Potential of an Ideal Gas

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the chemical potential of an ideal gas using heat capacities and equations such as the ideal gas law and the Gibbs free energy equation. There is a mistake in the original derivation, and it is suggested to use Cp = Cv + R and to consider U0 and S0 as extensive properties. The chemical potential is typically defined as the Gibbs free energy per mole.
Sabian

Homework Statement

Basically, find the chemical potential of an ideal gas knowing its heat capacities.

Homework Equations

[itex]P V = n R T \ \ \ \ (1)[/itex]
[itex]U = n c_V T + U_0 \ \ \ \ (2)[/itex]
[itex]S = S_0 + n c_V ln (T) + nR ln (V) = S_0 + n c_V ln (T) + nR ln \left ( \frac{nRT}{P} \right ) \ \ \ \ (3)[/itex]
[itex] \mu = \left ( \frac {\partial G}{\partial n} \right )|_{T,P} \ \ \ \ (4)[/itex]
[itex] G = U - TS + PV \ \ \ \ (5)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Mixing (1), (2) and (3) into (5) I get

[itex] G = n c_V T + U_0 - T \left (S_0 + n c_V ln (T) + nR ln \left ( \frac{nRT}{P} \right ) \right ) + nRT [/itex]

Then differentiating with n, while treating P and T as constants

[itex] \mu (P, T, n) = c_V T - T \left (c_V ln (T) + R ln \left ( \frac{nRT}{P} \right ) + R \right ) + RT [/itex]

Which has no constants, but I suppouse that the chemical potential, as every good classical potential, must be defined beggining at some constant [itex]\mu_0[/itex].

What I am doing wrong?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the third term for S, the V should just be RT/P. Then, re-express μ as

μ = μ0(T) + RT ln P

μ is an intensive property and cannot depend on the number of moles.

Determine what μ0 is as a function of T.

Good catch on the molar dependance, hadn't looked at that. The excercise I was looking at says [itex] \mu (P,T,n) [/itex]. I have some doubts on that being on purpose, but anyway...
------------------
Then I have

[itex] G = n c_v T + U_0 - T \left (S_0 + n c_v ln (T) + nR ln \left ( \frac{RT}{P} \right ) \right ) + nRT [/itex]

Then the differentiation is[itex] \mu (P, T,) = c_v T - T \left (c_v ln (T) + R ln \left ( \frac{RT}{P} \right ) \right ) + RT [/itex]

Which is the same as

[itex] \mu (P,T) = c_v T - T c_v ln(T) + TR ln (RT) - TR ln (P) + RT [/itex]

On a side note, I understand your approach, but I'm concerned about what's wrong with my derivation rather than getting the actual answer. I don't mean to be rude and I greatly appreciate your help on that other way to make the derivation, but I'm afraid I might have some wrong concepts and that's why what I've done is wrong.

There are some sign errors in your derivation. Watch the algebra. Also, you can use Cp = Cv + R

to make the final result more concise.

I might also mention that the chemical potential is usually regarded as the Gibbs free energy per mole. You also need to understand that U0 and S0 are extensive properties, and thus are proportional to the number of moles. Thus, they can be expressed as U0 = n u0 and S0 = n s0, where u0 is the internal energy per mole in some reference state. With these substitutions, you can divide G by n and get μ.

Last edited:

Your approach to solving for the chemical potential of an ideal gas using thermodynamic equations is correct. However, it is important to note that the chemical potential is not a constant and can vary depending on the temperature, pressure, and number of moles of the gas. Therefore, it is not necessary to include a constant term \mu_0 in your calculation.

Additionally, it is important to consider the physical interpretation of the chemical potential in this context. The chemical potential of an ideal gas is a measure of the change in the Gibbs free energy (G = U - TS + PV) when adding one mole of the gas to a system at constant temperature and pressure. It represents the energy required to add one mole of the gas to the system while keeping the temperature and pressure constant.

In summary, your approach to solving for the chemical potential is correct, but it is not necessary to include a constant term and it is important to consider the physical interpretation of the chemical potential in this context.

Related to [Doubt] Chemical Potential of an Ideal Gas

1. What is the chemical potential of an ideal gas?

The chemical potential of an ideal gas is a measure of the energy required to add one molecule of the gas to a system at constant temperature and pressure. It is also defined as the partial molar Gibbs free energy of the gas.

2. How is the chemical potential of an ideal gas calculated?

The chemical potential of an ideal gas can be calculated using the formula μ = μ° + RT ln(P/P°), where μ° is the standard chemical potential, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, P is the pressure, and P° is the standard pressure.

3. What factors affect the chemical potential of an ideal gas?

The chemical potential of an ideal gas is affected by temperature, pressure, and the number of particles in the system. It is also dependent on the type of gas and its interactions with other molecules in the system.

4. How does the chemical potential of an ideal gas relate to its thermodynamic properties?

The chemical potential of an ideal gas is related to its thermodynamic properties through the Gibbs-Duhem equation, which states that the sum of the chemical potentials of all components in a system is equal to zero. This equation helps to understand the behavior of gases in equilibrium.

5. What is the significance of the chemical potential of an ideal gas in practical applications?

The chemical potential of an ideal gas has important practical applications in fields such as chemical engineering and thermodynamics. It helps to predict the behavior of gases in various systems and is used in the design and optimization of processes involving gases.