Douglas' question via email about Inverse Laplace Transform

So here I have a definite answer, and I will now write an answer that will be more suited to my website (where I have chosen this problem to be one of my 100 or so "examples" of Laplace Transforms)...In summary, we have the following conversation about finding the inverse Laplace transform of $\frac{3s}{s^4 + 16,384}$. We started by working on the partial fraction decomposition, which involved finding a system of equations to solve for the coefficients. We then applied the shifts and simplified to find the inverse transform to be $\frac{3}{128}\sin{ \left( 8t \right) } \sinh{ \left( 8t \right
Prove It
Gold Member
MHB
Question: Inverse Laplace of [ 3*s / s^4 + 16384 ]
My Method So Far:

= [ 3*s / (s^2 - 16*s + 128) ( s^2 + 16s + 128) ]

[I'm getting lots of variables for the partial fractions decomposition and I am not confident I got the right equations or where to go from there]

0A + 128B + 0C + 128D = 0

128A + 16B + 128C -16D = 3

16A +1B - 16C +D =0

A + C = 0

***Are these the correct equations? Is there a quicker way to solve the values? [Would we get questions like this to solve in the closed book class test?]

I typed it into an online calculator and got:

3/32 * (s^2 -16s = 128) - 3/32(s^2+ 16s + 128)

from there I got

3/32 * Inverse Laplace [ 1 / (s-8)^2 + 64 - 1/ (s-8)^2 + 64]

If I take alpha to be 8 using first shift

***Would the result be 3/32 e^8t * {sin(8t) or cos(8t)}?

If I take w to be 8 - there is only a 1 for the numerator not an 8 or s like the formula.

Was I on the right track?
Thanks a lot

Regards

Doug

To start with, let's work on the Partial Fraction decomposition.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{A\,s + B}{s^2 - 16s +128} + \frac{C\,s + D}{s^2 + 16s + 128} &\equiv \frac{3s}{s^4 + 16\,384} \\ \frac{ \left( A\,s + B \right) \left( s^2 + 16s + 128 \right) + \left( C\,s + D \right) \left( s^2 - 16s + 128 \right) }{ \left( s^2 - 16s + 128 \right) \left( s^2 + 16s + 128 \right) } &\equiv \frac{3s}{s^4 + 16\,384} \\ \left( A\,s + B \right) \left( s^2 + 16s + 128 \right) + \left( C\,s + D \right) \left( s^2 - 16s + 128 \right) &\equiv 3s \end{align*}$

Unfortunately with so many variables it is very difficult to eliminate variables, so your method to try to expand, equate coefficients of like powers of s is a good one. In fact, if we were to attempt to use the "eliminating variables by substitution" method, we would have to use complex numbers in this case (which we're allowed to do, it's just not pretty...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left( A\,s + B \right) \left( s^2 + 16s + 128 \right) + \left( C\,s + D \right) \left( s^2 - 16s + 128 \right) &\equiv 3s \\ A\,s^3 + 16A\,s^2 + 128A\,s + B\,s^2 + 16B\,s + 128B + C\,s^3 - 16C\,s^2 + 128C\,s + D\,s^2 - 16D\,s + 128D &\equiv 3s \\ \left( A + C \right) \, s^3 + \left( 16A + B - 16C + D \right) \, s^2 + \left( 128A + 16B + 128C - 16D \right) \, s + 128B + 128D &= 3s \end{align*}$

and so we get the system of equations:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} A + C &= 0 \\ 16A + B - 16C + D &= 0 \\ 128A + 16B + 128C - 16D &= 3 \\ 128B + 128D &= 0 \end{align*}$

Subtracting 16 times the first equation from the second, and 128 times the first equation from the third, we get

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} A + C &= 0 \\ B - 32C + D &= 0 \\ 16B - 16D &= 3 \\ 128B + 128D &= 0 \end{align*}$

Subtracting 16 times the second equation from the third, and 128 times the second equation from the fourth, we get

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} A + C &= 0 \\ B - 32C + D &= 0 \\ 512C - 32D &= 3 \\ 4096C &= 0 \end{align*}$

Clearly $\displaystyle \begin{align*} C = 0 \end{align*}$ and from there it can be seen that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} A = 0, D = -\frac{3}{32} \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} B = \frac{3}{32} \end{align*}$. So the partial fraction decomposition is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{3}{32 \left( s^2 - 16s + 128 \right) } - \frac{3}{32 \left( s^2 + 16s + 128 \right) } \end{align*}$

which is consistent with what your online calculator gave.Now as for the actual inverse transform, you have made a small mistake when completing the square, it should be

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{3}{32 \left[ \left( s - 8 \right) ^2 + 64 \right] } - \frac{3}{32 \left[ \left( s + 8 \right) ^2 + 64 \right] } \end{align*}$

and so now applying the shifts:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathcal{L} \left\{ \frac{3}{32 \left[ \left( s - 8 \right) ^2 + 64 \right] } - \frac{3}{32 \left[ \left( s + 8 \right) ^2 + 64 \right] } \right\} &= \frac{3}{32} \mathcal{L} \left\{ \frac{1}{ \left( s - 8 \right) ^2 + 8^2 } \right\} - \frac{3}{32} \mathcal{L} \left\{ \frac{1}{ \left( s + 8 \right) ^2 + 8^2 } \right\} \\ &= \frac{3}{32}e^{8t} \mathcal{L} \left\{ \frac{1}{s^2 + 8^2} \right\} - \frac{3}{32} e^{-8t} \mathcal{L} \left\{ \frac{1}{s^2 + 8^2} \right\} \\ &= \frac{3}{256}e^{8t} \mathcal{L} \left\{ \frac{8}{s^2 + 8^2} \right\} - \frac{3}{256}e^{-8t} \mathcal{L} \left\{ \frac{8}{s^2 + 8^2} \right\} \\ &= \frac{3}{256}e^{8t} \sin{ \left( 8t \right) } - \frac{3}{256} e^{-8t} \sin{ \left( 8t \right) } \\ &= \frac{3}{128} \sin{ \left( 8t \right) } \left( \frac{1}{2} e^{8t} - \frac{1}{2}e^{-8t} \right) \\ &= \frac{3}{128}\sin{ \left( 8t \right) } \sinh{ \left( 8t \right) } \end{align*}$

Mathematics news on Phys.org

which is certainly a result that is consistent with the result that I got from my online calculator.

Related to Douglas' question via email about Inverse Laplace Transform

1. What is an Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and returns the original function in the time domain. It is the inverse operation of the Laplace Transform and is used to solve differential equations and analyze systems in engineering, physics, and other fields.

2. How do you perform an Inverse Laplace Transform?

To perform an Inverse Laplace Transform, you need to use a table of Laplace Transform pairs or a computer program. The most common method is using a table, where you match the Laplace Transform of the function in question to a known pair and then use the inverse pair to determine the original function in the time domain.

3. What is the purpose of an Inverse Laplace Transform?

The purpose of an Inverse Laplace Transform is to convert a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain. This allows for the analysis and understanding of the behavior of a system over time. It is also used to solve differential equations, which are common in engineering and physics problems.

4. What are some applications of the Inverse Laplace Transform?

The Inverse Laplace Transform is used in various fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and biology. It is used to analyze the behavior of systems over time, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and probability theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Inverse Laplace Transform?

While the Inverse Laplace Transform is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for functions that have a Laplace Transform, which means the function must be defined for all positive values of time. It also cannot be used for functions that have a singularity at the origin. Additionally, the Inverse Laplace Transform can be computationally intensive, especially for complex functions, so it is often used in conjunction with other methods and techniques.