Dr. Robert Forward's curvature gradient detector

In summary, the Forward mass detector is a device that is designed to measure small changes in the curvature of spacetime. It is named after its inventor, Dr. Robert Forward, who passed away in 2002.
Bob Walance
Insights Author
Gold Member
In a response by Pervect to another topic, he mentioned a device called a Forward mass detector, named after its inventor Dr. Robert Forward.

It's an intersting device with the claim that it can detect small gradients in the curvature of spacetime.

I couldn't find any info regarding someone that has built one, but I might just give it a try. Maybe I'll see if Jodi Foster wants to take a ride in it. ;-D

He passed away in 2002. Here's a link to his website:

http://www.robertforward.com/

Also, I created a pdf of the patent for the detector (U.S. patent 3,273,397), but it's larger than this forum will allow to be posted (the pdf is 1.6MB). If anyone wants it they can email me at bwalance(at)roadrunner.com

I have attached a couple of pics from his book showing the detector.

Thanks for the tip, Pervect.

Bob Walance

Attachments

• forward1.jpg
    forward1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 525
  • forward2.jpg
    forward2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting, this reminds me of the experiments to detect Gravitational Waves, postulated by General Relativity. While his idea is of sound basis (from a theoretical standpoint), I think that the size would make it insensitive to any but very large changes in the static field. The gravitational wave detector at Stanford (I may be incorrect about the University, this hasn't been my study for quite awhile) is nearly 2km in length and operates, approximately, by the same principles. To date, nothing has been detected by the Stanford team.

Actually, this device is used quite often to map out gravitational inhomogeneities of the earth. Since it actually measures a static curvature (it's called a gravity gradiometer for a reason), it's best suited to measuring large, slow changes. A practical use is to measure the gravitational multipole moments of the Earth, and thus get the subsurface structure; the oil industry uses this in a fairly serious way. In a 1970 prototype, the sensitivity was about "Riemann curvature produced by a two-bilometer high mountain, idealized as a two-kilometer high cub, at a distance of 15km." (Gravitation, MTW, Box 16.5).

Seriously people, MTW is one of the best physics books ever made, by some of the best physicists to grace the earth. It's big, and it needs re-reading to understand the logic (which is sometimes fragmented by the book's need to cater to differing levels of mathematical sophistication). But I've yet to see a problem that people have raised, on GR or related subjects, which isn't covered by the book.

I like MTW too.

A quick google for gravity gradiometry (optionally with oil) also gives a lot of information. One very interesting paper is

http://esto.nasa.gov/conferences/ESTC2006/papers/b4p1.pdf

The Grace experiment is another interesting experiment being done.

There's a gadget called http://www.superconductorweek.com/pr/0106hgf/arkex1.htm that's interesting as well, but I haven't been able to find out much about how it operates (it may be proprietary) .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Dr. Robert Forward's curvature gradient detector

1. What is Dr. Robert Forward's curvature gradient detector?

Dr. Robert Forward's curvature gradient detector is a device used to measure the curvature of space-time. It was proposed by physicist and science fiction author Dr. Robert Forward in 1966.

2. How does the curvature gradient detector work?

The detector works by using a series of concentric rings placed in a magnetic field. As the detector moves through space, the rings will experience a different magnetic field strength depending on the curvature of space-time, allowing for the measurement of the curvature gradient.

3. What is the significance of the curvature gradient detector?

The curvature gradient detector has important implications for the study of gravity and the understanding of the structure of the universe. By accurately measuring the curvature of space-time, it can help scientists better understand the behavior of matter and energy in the cosmos.

4. Has the curvature gradient detector been tested?

Yes, the detector has been tested in both laboratory experiments and in space. In 1988, NASA flew a version of the detector on the Space Shuttle Discovery and successfully measured the curvature gradient of the Earth's gravity field.

5. Are there any limitations to the curvature gradient detector?

One limitation of the detector is that it is only sensitive to changes in curvature. It cannot measure the absolute value of curvature or detect the presence of matter or energy. Additionally, it requires a strong magnetic field, making it difficult to use in certain environments.