Drag forces on someone diving into a pool

In summary, a person with a mass of 75 kg dives into a pool of water with a speed of 7.0 m/s and experiences a drag force of FD= (−1.00×104 kg/s)v. The person wants to know how long it takes to reach 2% of their original speed, ignoring buoyancy. The solution involves summing the forces in the y-direction and using the kinematic equations, but there may be some discrepancies with the given coefficient for drag force.
Serik

Homework Statement

You dive straight down into a pool of water. You hit the water with a speed of 7.0 m/s, and your mass is 75 kg.

Assuming a drag force of the form FD= (−1.00×104 kg/s)v, how long does it take you to reach 2% of your original speed? (Ignore any effects of buoyancy.)

Homework Equations

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=ma
V=Vo+at (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I summed the forces in the y-direction (down is positive):
[tex]\Sigma[/tex]F=mg-FD=may

2% of 7 m/s = 0.14 m/s

But I don't know what to do from here. How do I solve for ay when the drag force varies with velocity? If ay varies, then how can I use the kinematic equations for constant a?

I figured this out the hard way after plugging in 7.0 m/s for v and solving for a, which is an absurdly large number. (-923 m/s2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that FD=(-1.00x104)v?
This coefficient seems kind of large to be for drag, recheck the numbers.

Last edited:
Lazyshot,

I should've placed the negative sign outside the parenthesis, but yes, according to my book and MasteringPhysics, that is the coefficient.

FD=-(1.00x104)v

Related to Drag forces on someone diving into a pool

1. How does the shape of a person affect the drag force when diving into a pool?

The shape of a person can greatly affect the drag force they experience when diving into a pool. A more streamlined shape, such as a pencil or arrow shape, will experience less drag compared to a rounder or wider shape. This is because a streamlined shape allows water to flow smoothly around the body, reducing the drag force.

2. Does the speed at which a person dives into a pool affect the drag force?

Yes, the speed at which a person dives into a pool does affect the drag force. The faster the person is moving, the greater the drag force will be. This is because at higher speeds, the water molecules around the person are pushed apart and create larger areas of turbulence, resulting in a stronger drag force.

3. How does the surface area of a person affect the drag force when diving into a pool?

The surface area of a person also plays a role in the drag force experienced while diving into a pool. A larger surface area will result in a higher drag force, as there is more surface for the water to push against. This is why wearing tight-fitting clothing or a streamlined swimsuit can reduce drag while diving.

4. Does the depth of the pool affect the drag force on a person diving?

The depth of the pool does not have a direct effect on the drag force experienced by a person diving. However, the depth of the pool can affect the speed at which the person enters the water, which in turn can affect the drag force. A deeper pool allows for a longer dive and faster entry into the water, resulting in a higher drag force.

5. Can the position of a person's arms and legs while diving affect the drag force?

Yes, the position of a person's arms and legs can greatly affect the drag force experienced while diving. A streamlined position, with arms and legs close to the body, will result in less drag compared to a spread-out position. This is because a spread-out position creates more turbulence and surface area for the water to push against, increasing the drag force.

Back