Drag Race Christmas Tree Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of a state machine chart for a Christmas Tree lighting system used in drag racing. The system has inputs including a start button, reset button, and two start line sensors, and outputs including red, yellow, and green lights, as well as two fault lights. The sequence of the lights is controlled by the start button and if the start line sensors are activated before the green light comes on, the corresponding fault light is energized and the system waits for a reset signal. The conversation also mentions the attachment of a picture of the state machine chart created for this design.
michael_mke

Homework Statement

Question Details:
A "Christmas Tree lighting system is used to start a drag race. The inputs to the system include a start button, a reset button, and two start line sensors. The outputs include lines for Red, Yellow, and Green lights and two Fault lights. When the operator pushes the start button, the red, yellow, and green lights turn on and then off sequentially in equal time increments. If one (or both) of the start line sensors is activated before the green lights comes on, the corresponding fault light is energized, the red, yellow and green lights go off and the system waits for a reset signal. If there is a good start, the green light remains on until the reset button is pressed.

I need help in developing a SM (State Machine) chart for this design.

Here's what I got. I'm pretty sure that it's incorrect though.
Inputs:
SB = Start Button
R = Reset Button
F1 = Start Line Sensor 1
F2 = Start Line Sensor 2

Outputs:
Rd = Red Light
Ye = Yellow Light
Gr = Green Light
FL1 = Fault Light 1
FL2 = Fault Light 2

I have attached the picture of my SM Chart that I created.

Attachments

• Soln.jpg
    Soln.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 382
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsN/AThe Attempt at a SolutionI have attached the picture of my SM Chart that I created.

I would suggest that this design could be improved by adding a timer circuit to ensure that the lights turn on and off at precise intervals. This would help to ensure fairness in the race and eliminate any potential discrepancies caused by human error in pressing the start button.

Additionally, I would recommend incorporating fail-safe measures in case of any technical malfunctions. For example, if both start line sensors are activated simultaneously, the system should automatically reset and wait for a new start signal.

Furthermore, I would suggest conducting experiments and collecting data on the time intervals between the lights turning on and off to ensure consistency and accuracy in the system.

In terms of the SM chart, I would suggest adding a "waiting for reset" state after each fault state to clearly indicate that the system is waiting for a reset signal. I would also suggest adding a "ready" state before the start button is pressed to indicate that the system is ready for a race.

Overall, I believe that this design has potential, but it could benefit from further refinement and testing to ensure its effectiveness and reliability in a drag race setting.

Related to Drag Race Christmas Tree Design

1. What is a Drag Race Christmas Tree Design?

A Drag Race Christmas Tree Design is a special type of Christmas tree used in drag racing events. It is a large, vertical structure with a series of lights that countdown to the start of a race.

2. How does a Drag Race Christmas Tree Design work?

The Drag Race Christmas Tree Design uses a series of lights, known as the "staging lights," to signal when a race is about to begin. The first set of lights, called the pre-stage lights, indicate that the car is near the starting line. The second set of lights, called the stage lights, indicate that the car is ready to race. The final set of lights, called the launch lights, indicate when the race has officially begun.

3. Why is a Drag Race Christmas Tree Design important in drag racing?

The Drag Race Christmas Tree Design is an important part of drag racing because it helps to ensure fair and consistent starts for all racers. The lights on the tree provide a clear signal for when the race begins, helping to prevent any driver from having an unfair advantage.

4. How is a Drag Race Christmas Tree Design different from a traditional Christmas tree?

A Drag Race Christmas Tree Design is different from a traditional Christmas tree in several ways. It is typically much larger and taller, and it is designed specifically for use in drag racing events. Additionally, it is usually made of metal or other sturdy materials to withstand the vibrations and high speeds of the racing cars.

5. Who invented the Drag Race Christmas Tree Design?

The Drag Race Christmas Tree Design was invented by C.H. "Smokey" Yunick, a legendary figure in the world of drag racing. He created the design in the 1950s as a way to improve the starting process for drag races and make it more fair for all competitors.