Drag Vs Depth Calculator: Object Velocity, Mass and Weight

In summary, the depth of the sinker is determined by the velocity, line length, and weight of the sinker. The drag force on the sinker is independent of the mass of the sinker.
Vanselena
Hi, I have been trying to understand the formula for the drag of an object vs the depth of the object in Water. The variables are Velocity, Mass, Weight. Velocity being in Miles per Hour. Mass taken from the cross section of the weight as it moves through the water and the mass of the line used to drag the weight (diameter x length). Weight being comprised of lead ( the line is made of spectra and does not factor into weight ).

Using
Velocity 3 mph
Line length ( diameter being .009" )
Weight 5 ounces
Mass ( line diameter x distance ( weight diameter .5" )

How do I calculate depth given a water temperature of 60 degrees constant.

Here is the closest I have found on the web, unfortunately they do not allow for line diameter of spectra

http://www.geometrics.com/TowDepth.htm

This formula has eluded me and I am hoping someone can help.

I am a new member and this is my first post!

Vanselena

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i am cofused! what do you want to know?
the drag force on an object is independant of its mass, it depends on its geometry?

looking at your link, I'm thinking your towing an object through water using a tow line and you wish to know what angle the tow line makes with the horizontal??

you need to balance forces in the horizontal and vertical.
for verticle you'll have weight of the object, the bouyancy, and the verticle component of tension in the tow line

for the horizontal you'll have the horizontal component of the tension in the line, and the drag force working against it!

the drag of an object is .5*density*v^2*Cd*A
density is the density of the fluid your in [water?]
v is its velocity, and A is the FRONTAL area (the area of its shadow would cover)
Cd is a drag coeficient which can be looked up from tables and will depend on the SHAPE of the object.

Hi what I would like to know is a formula to know the depth attained by the sinker given the following variables

Velocity 3 mph
Line length 100 feet ( diameter being .009" )
Lead Sinker being 5 ounces in weight
Mass ( line diameter x distance ( weight diameter .5" )

How do I calculate depth given a water temperature of 60 degrees constant.

Is the weight spherical? You'll need this: http://www.cord.edu/faculty/ulnessd/legacy/fall1998/sonja/stokes.htm

I very much appreciate your responses.

The general problem is dragging a towfish through the water doesn't produce a straight angle. the line curves similar to that of the curved line when flying a kite. Initially the weight of the cylindrical object causes a direct angle from the source to the weight. As the line extends further out the mass of the line starts to have an effect and thus produces a curve in the line from the source to the weight. A line that is .01" may seem insignificant however at 100" that line is causing one square inches of mass and at 900 inches of line out there is now 3 square inches of drag. This is what causes the curved shape in the line to the weight being towed.

I am still unsure of the formula to show

line out (causing line mass drag)
and
weight
and
frontal area of the weight (causing weight mass drag)
and
velocity
and
Water temperature of 60degrees
= what depth

Thank you for your responses!

Related to Drag Vs Depth Calculator: Object Velocity, Mass and Weight

1. How do I use the drag vs depth calculator?

The drag vs depth calculator is used to determine the relationship between an object's velocity, mass, weight, and depth in a fluid. To use it, simply input your values for velocity, mass, and weight, and the calculator will provide you with the corresponding drag force at different depths.

2. What is the purpose of the drag force in this calculator?

The drag force is a resistance force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid. It is important to consider in this calculator because it allows us to understand the impact of drag on an object's velocity and depth in a fluid.

3. Can the drag vs depth calculator be used for any type of fluid?

Yes, the drag vs depth calculator can be used for any type of fluid, as long as the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, are known. These properties can be adjusted in the calculator to provide accurate results for different types of fluids.

4. How does the mass and weight of an object affect its drag in a fluid?

The mass and weight of an object have a direct impact on the drag force it experiences in a fluid. An object with a higher mass and weight will experience a greater drag force, as it has more inertia and is more resistant to changes in its velocity as it moves through the fluid.

5. Is the drag vs depth calculator accurate for all types of objects?

The drag vs depth calculator is designed to provide accurate results for a wide range of objects, as long as the properties of the object and the fluid are known. However, it may not be accurate for objects with irregular shapes or for very complex fluid dynamics scenarios.