Drano Chemistry Lab: Physical & Chemical Changes

In summary, the purpose of the Drano Chemistry Lab is to demonstrate physical and chemical changes through a hands-on experiment using household materials. The materials needed include Drano, water, a plastic cup, a plastic spoon, a paper towel, a timer, and safety equipment. Physical changes involve a change in appearance or state of matter, while chemical changes result in the formation of new substances. The Drano Chemistry Lab shows both types of changes by mixing water and Drano, resulting in a chemical reaction and the formation of new substances. Safety precautions include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following instructions carefully.
KOOOL_DJ
can n e one help me with my lab? :confused: we had to mix
a)drano (a substance used to unclog drains) with water
b) ammonium chloride with water

can you tell me if these are chemical or physical changes and whyyy?? THANKZZ A BUNCH!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is homework, you need to show us some work before we can help you. What do you think?

ohh alriight... I actually figured it out after based on my observations

BUT umm..are all exothermic reactions chemical changes? or can they be physical changes aswell...since they relase heat?

Related to Drano Chemistry Lab: Physical & Chemical Changes

What is the purpose of the Drano Chemistry Lab?

The purpose of the Drano Chemistry Lab is to demonstrate the concepts of physical and chemical changes through a hands-on experiment using household materials.

What materials are needed for the Drano Chemistry Lab?

The materials needed for the Drano Chemistry Lab include: a bottle of Drano, water, a plastic cup, a plastic spoon, a paper towel, a timer, and safety equipment such as goggles and gloves.

What is the difference between a physical and chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the appearance or state of matter, such as melting, freezing, or dissolving. A chemical change is a change in the chemical composition of a substance, resulting in the formation of new substances with different properties.

How does the Drano Chemistry Lab demonstrate physical and chemical changes?

The Drano Chemistry Lab involves mixing water and Drano, which causes a chemical reaction. This reaction produces heat and gas, resulting in a physical change as the mixture bubbles and changes color. The chemical change that occurs is the formation of new substances, including hydrogen gas and sodium hydroxide.

What safety precautions should be taken during the Drano Chemistry Lab?

It is important to wear safety equipment, such as goggles and gloves, while conducting the Drano Chemistry Lab. The experiment should also be done in a well-ventilated area and any spills should be cleaned up immediately. It is also important to follow the instructions carefully and not mix any other substances with the Drano and water mixture.