Draw Lattice Diagram for K: Solving Algebra I Mapping Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses mapping solutions for the set K. After some analysis, it is determined that there are 140 unique solutions and the professor does not want all of them to be drawn. The final conclusion is that the mapping can be simplified to (57)(36), I(36), (57)I, and I sub 7.
rbzima

Homework Statement

K = {x C S7 | 2x=2, {1,4}x={1,4}, {1,5,7}x={1,5,7}}.
Draw Lattice Diagram for K.2. The attempt at a solution

I've looked at this for about 30 minutes and came to the conclusion that there are 140 unique solutions to this mapping, and I know for a fact that the professor does not want us to draw all 140 of these. Essentially, I found that 3!3!2!2! - 4 = 140. At this point I have no idea how to express this in a far easier form then what is given and I'm not sure where to go with the Lattice Diagram. Help would def be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind. Mods can delete this thread because I've figured it out. The statement above states that {1,4}x = {1,4}, but similarly {1,5,7}x = {1,5,7}, which implies that for this statement to be true, 1 maps to 1, and 4 maps to 4, therefore all we are left with is combinations of {5,7} and {3,6}, which are simply (57)(36), I(36), (57)I, and I sub 7.

FAQ: Draw Lattice Diagram for K: Solving Algebra I Mapping Homework

1. What is a lattice diagram?

A lattice diagram is a visual representation of the relationships between elements in a set. It is commonly used in mathematics to organize and visualize data, such as in mapping or graphing functions.

2. How do you draw a lattice diagram for solving algebra I mapping homework?

To draw a lattice diagram for solving algebra I mapping homework, you will need to identify the elements in the set and the relationships between them. Then, draw a grid with the elements along the top and side, and fill in the grid with the corresponding relationships between the elements.

3. What is the purpose of drawing a lattice diagram for K in algebra I mapping homework?

The purpose of drawing a lattice diagram for K in algebra I mapping homework is to better understand the relationships between elements in the set. It can also help to identify patterns and make predictions about the behavior of the elements.

4. Are there any tips for drawing a lattice diagram for K in algebra I mapping homework?

One tip for drawing a lattice diagram for K in algebra I mapping homework is to start by listing the elements and their corresponding relationships. Then, draw the grid and fill it in carefully, checking for accuracy and clarity as you go.

5. Can a lattice diagram be used for other subjects besides algebra I mapping homework?

Yes, a lattice diagram can be used in other subjects besides algebra I mapping homework. It is a useful tool for organizing and visualizing data in various fields, such as science, computer science, and economics.