Draw shear force and bending moment diagrams

In summary, the beam shown in the figure has a support reaction of 20 kN, a shear force of -30 kN and a bending moment of 10 kN.
bigu01

Homework Statement

For the beam shown in the figure: a) Draw necessary free body diagrams

b) Calculate support reactions

c) Draw the shear force and bending moments

Homework Equations

∑Fy = 0; ∑M = 0; V(x) = ∫ L(x) ; M(x) = ∫ V(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I reverted and flipped the figure in order to have it easier for me, as I am used to work in the most used system of coordinates. I have solved the problem, except when coming to the M(x)3, drawing the diagram of it, I should get -20 kN*m and not 0. If you can inspect the solution procedure and if you find the mistake , please give me some hints of what I have done wrong and how should I approach it

Attachments

• dopeshit 1.png
    dopeshit 1.png
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,718
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 944
Physics news on Phys.org
Your problems start with calculating the support reactions for the beam. In your equations for the moments, it appears you did not include the 20 kN-m couple in you moment summation. It's really hard to follow your calculations because: 1.) you have inverted the beam, and 2.) you don't indicate the origin of your moment arms.

It's not clear why you inverted the beam; it makes it very hard to check your calculations and you don't seem to have obtained any simplification to finding the solution to the problem.

Oh, yes. So that means I am correct. But, looks like I have not solved the question I was asked, instead, I have solved another question without the moment given.

I inverted the beam in order to have the x-y system of coordinates with x positive - horizontal to the right , and y - positive vertical upwards. There is no simplification, it just fits me better solving like that. Apart for the initial silly mistake :(, there is not any other mistake is it?

Well, if the reactions aren't correct, then the shear force and bending moment diagrams aren't correct either.

It might help to get the reactions to separate out the three contributions: (i) from the moment (ii) from the udl and (iii) from the triangularly distributed load. Then add the contributions together. Finally, check your reactions by taking moments about any point you haven't yet used. If it doesn't check, then there is an error somewhere, and, as steam king says, there is no point in continuing with m and v diagrams.

Related to Draw shear force and bending moment diagrams

1. What is the purpose of drawing shear force and bending moment diagrams?

The purpose of drawing shear force and bending moment diagrams is to visualize and analyze the internal forces and moments acting on a structural member, such as a beam or frame. These diagrams are essential in understanding the structural behavior and designing safe and efficient structures.

2. How do you draw a shear force diagram?

To draw a shear force diagram, you must first determine the external loads and reactions acting on the structural member. Then, starting from one end of the member, calculate and plot the shear forces at different points along the member. The diagram will show the magnitude and direction of the shear forces acting on the member.

3. What is a bending moment diagram and how is it different from a shear force diagram?

A bending moment diagram shows the internal bending moments at different points along the structural member. Unlike a shear force diagram, which only shows the shear forces, a bending moment diagram takes into account the moments caused by external loads and reactions. These diagrams are often drawn together to get a complete picture of the internal forces and moments in a member.

4. What factors affect the shape of a shear force and bending moment diagram?

The shape of a shear force and bending moment diagram is affected by the location and magnitude of external loads and reactions, as well as the type and properties of the structural member. For example, a cantilever beam will have a different diagram than a simply supported beam with the same external loads.

5. How are shear force and bending moment diagrams used in structural analysis and design?

Shear force and bending moment diagrams are used in structural analysis and design to determine the maximum internal forces and moments in a member, which are then used to select appropriate materials and dimensions for the member. These diagrams are also useful in identifying critical sections of a structure that may require additional support or reinforcement.