Drawing lemonade of density 1000 kg/m3 up a straw to a maximum height

In summary, to suck lemonade with a density of 1000 kg/m3 through a straw to a maximum height of 3.3 cm, the minimum gauge pressure required is 3.197e-3 atmospheres. The conversion from mks units to atmospheres was used in the calculations and the answer should be negative. Pressure can be considered negative in certain scenarios.
Forceflow
To suck lemonade of density 1000 kg/m3 up a straw to a maximum height of 3.3 cm, what minimum gauge pressure (in atmospheres) must you produce in your lungs?

I know i need to use P=pgh which equals 1000(9.81)(.033)
which equals 323.73
-Then i divide, so, 323.73/1.0125e5
that equals 3.197e-3

It said that my answer was wrong. It looks good to me. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the conversion you are using from mks units to atmospheres?

You're answer better be negative.

thanks man, it was negative.

I just did this problem and was wondering why the answer was negative? How often can pressure be considered negative?

Thanks for the help!

~Phoenix

Related to Drawing lemonade of density 1000 kg/m3 up a straw to a maximum height

1. What is the purpose of drawing lemonade up a straw?

The purpose of drawing lemonade up a straw is to transport the liquid from a container to the mouth for consumption.

2. Why is the density of the lemonade important in this experiment?

The density of the lemonade is important because it determines how much force is needed to draw the liquid up the straw. A denser liquid will require more force than a less dense liquid.

3. What is the maximum height that the lemonade can be drawn up the straw?

The maximum height that the lemonade can be drawn up the straw is dependent on the strength of the vacuum created by sucking on the straw. Generally, this height is limited to approximately 10 meters due to atmospheric pressure.

4. How does the diameter of the straw impact the experiment?

The diameter of the straw affects the rate at which the lemonade is drawn up. A wider straw will allow for a faster flow of liquid, while a narrower straw will result in a slower flow.

5. Is the density of the lemonade the only factor that affects the experiment?

No, the density of the lemonade is not the only factor that affects the experiment. Other factors such as the temperature of the liquid, the strength of the vacuum, and the diameter and length of the straw also play a role in the process.