Drilling through the Earth problem

• Thread starter dinospamoni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, Postal workers on planet Vashtup want to drill a straight tube through the planet, starting at Post Office 1, passing through the center of the planet, and ending on the other side at Post Office 2. They plan to release small packages containing mail into the tube from P.O. 1 and have others grab them at P.O. 2. Using the weight formula of a particle within the shell of a planet, with no air resistance and a given radius and gravitational force, the position and speed of the package can be determined 1088 seconds after its release. The equation used is a second derivative of position with respect to time, and initial conditions must be taken into consideration.
dinospamoni

Homework Statement

Postal workers on planet Vashtup want to drill a
straight tube through the planet, starting at Post Office 1, passing through the center of the planet, and ending on the other
side at Post Office 2. They plan to release small packages containing mail into the tube from P.O. 1 and have others grab
them at P.O. 2. Vashtup has g = 9.1 m/s2
, and a radius of
5200 km. When it is located within the shell of a planet, the
weight of a particle of mass m is mgr/R, where r is its distance
from the center of the planet. Assume that there is no air resistance. Compute a) the position r of the package 1088 s after
it has been released, and b) its speed at that time. Note: r is
positive if the package is on the same side of planet as P.O. 1,
and negative if it is on the same side as P.O. 2.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Note: My professor wants me to be using differential equations to solve this.

I think I have a basic idea of how to do this problem, but am having trouble finding an equation that correctly models the motion of the object dropped into the tube. From what is given I have:

ma=mgr/R

a=gr/R

a is the second derivative of position, so x''=gr/R

Now, this is where I'm having trouble. I know I need to find r(t), or a function for position dependent on time but I'm not seeing how to make that connection.

I tried using the above equation saying (R/g) r''(t) = r(t), y'(0)=0, y(0)=R

but that definitely isn't right

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
dinospamoni said:

Homework Statement

I tried using the above equation saying (R/g) r''(t) = r(t), y'(0)=0, y(0)=R

but that definitely isn't right

Any ideas?

Well, I don't know what those y's are doing there, might want to change those to r's, but if you rethink the signs of your equation I would not say it's 'definitely not right' because it is!

Hint: You're sitting at r = R to begin with so think about F = ma with the correct sign (direction) in your coordinate system.

FAQ: Drilling through the Earth problem

What is the "Drilling through the Earth problem"?

The "Drilling through the Earth problem" refers to the hypothetical scenario of drilling a tunnel straight through the center of the Earth from one point to another on the opposite side.

Is it possible to drill through the Earth?

While it is theoretically possible to drill through the Earth, it is currently not feasible with our current technology and resources.

Why is it not feasible to drill through the Earth?

Drilling through the Earth would require drilling through incredibly high temperatures and pressures as well as the Earth's molten core. It would also be extremely expensive and time-consuming.

What would happen if we were able to drill through the Earth?

If we were able to drill through the Earth, we would experience weightlessness as we reached the center due to the pull of gravity from all directions canceling out. We would then experience increasing gravity as we approached the other side.

Are there any benefits to drilling through the Earth?

Theoretically, drilling through the Earth could provide a more direct and efficient mode of transportation between two points on opposite sides of the Earth. It could also provide insights into the Earth's composition and potentially access to untapped resources. However, the potential risks and challenges currently outweigh the benefits.