Driving 7-segment display in Multisim (11)

• Thread starter deed02392
  • Start date
In summary: It may also be helpful to adjust the configuration settings in Multisim to make the program less sensitive to current fluctuations. In summary, the issue with the logic circuit not working properly with the display segment is due to a lack of current. Adding a resistor and adjusting the program settings should help resolve the issue.
deed02392
I've made a circuit which counts from 0 to 7 in BCD using three FLIPFLOPS, now I want to apply some logic to the outputs and drive a 7 segment display, but I'm having trouble implementing the circuit in Multisim to do that. I think it's something to do with the current being correct but I put an Ammeter in and it was all nonsense all over the show.

Please have a look and let me know what I need to do? The text box shows the state of various segments, the unmarked ones will have some logic applied to later.

Thanks!

EDIT: Got the display to start working by using a common cathode display instead, however I still get a weird moment after adding in the logic where the display segment flickers and the simulation time slows to a crawl whenever the logic output is being sent to the segment! I get the feeling it's being 'too realistic' for my purposes, is there a simple proper way to fix this (with a resistor or something) or otherwise a configuration change to make the whole program less sensitive to current over/underruns? Thanks.

Attachments

• renameToBeDotMS11.ms
    79.7 KB · Views: 594
  • Output.PNG
    Output.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,207
  • Broken.PNG
    Broken.PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 3,039
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The issue is that your logic circuit is not receiving enough current from the display segment. A common cathode display is designed to be driven by a current source, so the logic outputs need to be able to provide enough current for the display segments to turn on. You could try adding a resistor in series with each logic output to limit the current. This should help keep the display from flickering and the simulation from slowing down.

Related to Driving 7-segment display in Multisim (11)

1. How do I connect a 7-segment display to Multisim?

To connect a 7-segment display to Multisim, you will need to use a BCD to 7-segment decoder chip. This chip will convert the binary signals from Multisim into the appropriate signals for the 7-segment display. Simply connect the inputs of the decoder to the binary signals and the outputs to the corresponding segments of the display.

2. How do I display numbers on a 7-segment display in Multisim?

To display numbers on a 7-segment display in Multisim, you will need to use a combinational logic circuit. This circuit will take the binary signals from Multisim and convert them into the appropriate signals for each segment of the display. You can use a truth table or Karnaugh map to design the circuit.

3. Can I use a 7-segment display in Multisim to display letters or symbols?

Yes, you can use a 7-segment display in Multisim to display letters or symbols. You will need to use a BCD to 7-segment decoder that supports alphanumeric characters. You can also use a combinational logic circuit to design a custom decoder for specific symbols or characters.

4. How do I control the brightness of a 7-segment display in Multisim?

To control the brightness of a 7-segment display in Multisim, you can use a variable resistor connected to the display's common cathode or anode. By adjusting the resistance, you can vary the current flowing through the display and control its brightness.

5. Can I simulate a 7-segment display in Multisim before building the actual circuit?

Yes, you can simulate a 7-segment display in Multisim before building the actual circuit. Multisim has a built-in simulation feature that allows you to test and troubleshoot your circuit before physically building it. This can save time and resources by identifying any errors in your design before implementation.