Dropping Turkeys Out of an Airplane

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, the conversation discusses the tradition of throwing live turkeys out of airplanes in Arkansas, and the difference between wild and domestic turkeys. The conversation also references a hilarious episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati" and a similar tradition involving a possum drop in North Carolina. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about turkeys being good flyers but not good at landing. Overall, the conversation sheds light on the questionable and potentially harmful nature of this tradition.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Did you think that dropping turkeys out of an airplane was only a hilarious episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati"? (I think I just dated myself.) Think again!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...keys-from-planes-in-arkansas-continues-today/

And someone should show these people the difference between wild turkey and the domestic turkey that they grew for consumption. No one in their right mind would think that later could fly out of the blue with their fattened physiology and after being confined all their lives! Seriously!

And for those who missed my reference at the beginning of this post, catch up here:

Zz.

Likes 1oldman2, titatos, Student100 and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Helicopter

Full episode here:

"Mr Collie, we know what the humane society stands for...but Mr. Collie, a lot of turkeys don't make it through Thanksgiving."

2milehi said:
Helicopter

Yes, but same concept. :)

Zz.

They had stop the "possum drop" on New Year's Eve, in Brasstown, NC because animal rights activists thought it scared the opossum. It was the highlight of the area.

ZapperZ said:
Did you think that dropping turkeys out of an airplane was only a hilarious episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati"? (I think I just dated myself.) Think again!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...keys-from-planes-in-arkansas-continues-today/

And someone should show these people the difference between wild turkey and the domestic turkey that they grew for consumption. No one in their right mind would think that later could fly out of the blue with their fattened physiology and after being confined all their lives! Seriously!

And for those who missed my reference at the beginning of this post, catch up here:

Zz.

I LOVED THAT EPISODE! I laffed so hard I pee'd my pants! :blushing:

The article didn't even state why dropping a turkey out of an airplane is a tradition there. What is it supposed to mean? To ward off starvation in the upcoming winter? Appease a god or something? What are they doing it for? o_O

Likes titatos
Being a bow hunter, I've observed wild turkeys going to roost at dusk. They're are great flyers and roost high in trees but they're not so good at landing; crashing through a lot of limbs before settling down on a roosting limb.

dlgoff said:
They're are great flyers and roost high in trees but they're not so good at landing; crashing through a lot of limbs before settling down on a roosting limb.

hahaha
as the old saying goes ( mainly referring to manned flight) " any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"

Dave

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff

Related to Dropping Turkeys Out of an Airplane

1. Why would anyone want to drop turkeys out of an airplane?

There are a few reasons why scientists might want to drop turkeys out of an airplane. One reason might be to study the effects of high altitude on different species of birds. Another reason might be to test the aerodynamics of different bird body shapes.

2. Is it safe for the turkeys to be dropped out of an airplane?

Yes, it is safe for the turkeys to be dropped out of an airplane as long as proper precautions are taken to ensure their safety. This may include using special harnesses or parachutes to slow their descent and prevent injury.

3. How do scientists measure the impact of dropping turkeys out of an airplane?

Scientists can measure the impact of dropping turkeys out of an airplane by tracking their flight path with GPS technology and analyzing their behavior before and after the drop. They may also collect data on the turkeys' physiological responses and analyze any changes in their body composition.

4. What have scientists learned from dropping turkeys out of an airplane?

Through this experiment, scientists have learned about the effects of high altitude on different bird species, the aerodynamics of bird flight, and the resilience of birds' bodies to impact forces. This information can be applied to various fields, such as aviation and wildlife conservation.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with dropping turkeys out of an airplane?

As with any scientific experiment involving animals, there may be ethical concerns. However, scientists must follow strict ethical guidelines and obtain approval from an ethics committee before conducting any experiments involving animals. Additionally, steps are taken to ensure the safety and well-being of the turkeys throughout the experiment.