Δt and Limit of Δx/Δt as Δt -> 0 at t=3?

• Thread starter ACSC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: No, their notation is pretty bad, to be honest. They start in part a) with:t = 3.00 sWhich is fine so far. But then they use:t = 3.00 s + ΔtThey are using the same variable name for two different things. What they should have written is something like:ti = 3.00 stf = 3.00 s + ΔtThis is what they really mean.edit: (and by this notation, the particle is at x at time ti and it is at xf at time tf)edit again: and so, by this, you can probably see that
ACSC
1. Homework Statement
The position of a particle moving along the x-axis varies in time according to the expression x = 5t^2, where x is in meters and t is in seconds. Evaluate its position at the following times.
(a) t = 3.00 s
x = ? m
(b) t = 3.00 s + Δt
xf(final x) = ? m
(c) Evaluate the limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches zero to find the velocity at t = 3.00 s.
v = ? m/s

Homework Equations

Maybe lim x->0 ∫Δx/Δt

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) x = 45m, got it.
(b) I don't understand what it's asking me.
(c) lim t-> 0 ∫ 5x^2 Δx/Δt at t=3
= lim t-> 0 [10t]
I don't know what to do from here since it asks me to find velocity when t->0 at when t=3 at the same time.

Physics news on Phys.org
for part b, you are given t = 3 + Δt and the equation x=5t^2 So just use this. (Don't worry that your final answer depends on Δt - that is what they want).

p.s. Welcome to physicsforums !

BruceW said:
for part b, you are given t = 3 + Δt and the equation x=5t^2 So just use this. (Don't worry that your final answer depends on Δt - that is what they want).

p.s. Welcome to physicsforums !

I'm still not quite sure what to do. Do I make the t in the x equation the subject the simultaneously solve it? Isn't (b) asking for the distance traveled rather than Δt?

This feels like a really simple question that I'm supposed to understand straightaway. I've done basic physics and that doesn't seem to help...

Thank you for the welcome. :)

(It's 12AM here so I probably won't be able to respond until my tomorrow morning.)

b) is asking you to substitute 300+Δt for t and xf for x in the expression x = 5t2.
There's a step they've left out in going from b) to c). You need to substitute x+Δx for xf. (I don't know why they said xf instead of x+Δx in the first place.)
it asks me to find velocity when t->0
No, it's as Δt→0. Δt is not Δ multiplied by t, it's a separate variable representing a small change in t.

haruspex said:
b) is asking you to substitute 300+Δt for t and xf for x in the expression x = 5t2.
There's a step they've left out in going from b) to c). You need to substitute x+Δx for xf. (I don't know why they said xf instead of x+Δx in the first place.)

No, it's as Δt→0. Δt is not Δ multiplied by t, it's a separate variable representing a small change in t.

I think that makes sense, thank you.

Would (b) be 144m?
Is the second working out for (c) correct?
Working out picture here.

Last edited:
ACSC said:
Would (b) be 144m?
No, it should be an algebraic expression involving the unknown Δt. It's the fourth line of the working you attached (except there's a mistake in the last term).
In part c, x is the same as in part a (=45m). We are concerned with what happens over the time interval from 3 seconds to 3 +Δt seconds. At 3 seconds, x = 45m. At 3+Δt seconds it's x+Δx, the answer to part b. To get the change in x, you subtract the x to leave just the Δx. So you get Δx = 30Δt + 5Δt2.
For c, it doesn't ask for the limit of Δx as Δt→0, it asks for the limit of Δx/Δt. So divide through by Δt before taking the limit.

haruspex said:
No, it should be an algebraic expression involving the unknown Δt. It's the fourth line of the working you attached (except there's a mistake in the last term)

Oh, I forgot to times the 5 into the last part. Thanks.
xf = 5Δt2 + 30Δt + 45 ?
The question wants the answer in meters though. :S
bAb1gSi.png

If I sub in Δt=3, I would get 180m. Would that be it? Seems like there's something wrong in subbing Δt=3, though.
haruspex said:
In part c, x is the same as in part a (=45m). We are concerned with what happens over the time interval from 3 seconds to 3 +Δt seconds. At 3 seconds, x = 45m. At 3+Δt seconds it's x+Δx, the answer to part b. To get the change in x, you subtract the x to leave just the Δx. So you get Δx = 30Δt + 5Δt2.
For c, it doesn't ask for the limit of Δx as Δt→0, it asks for the limit of Δx/Δt. So divide through by Δt before taking the limit.

I think I get what you mean.
Like this?

ACSC said:
The question wants the answer in meters though. :S
bAb1gSi.png
Strange. That isn't possible unless they give you a value to use for Δt.
I think I get what you mean.
Like this?
That's it.

haruspex said:
Strange. That isn't possible unless they give you a value to use for Δt.

Can we assumed that ti=0 and tf=3? Though that would be the exact same thing as t=3, wouldn't it?
I'll email my teacher and ask what they want the form of the answer to be.

haruspex said:
That's it.
GREAT! Thank you so much for guiding me. :)

ACSC said:
Can we assumed that ti=0 and tf=3? Though that would be the exact same thing as t=3, wouldn't it?
I'll email my teacher and ask what they want the form of the answer to be.
No, their notation is pretty bad, to be honest. They start in part a) with:
t = 3.00 s
Which is fine so far. But then they use:
t = 3.00 s + Δt
They are using the same variable name for two different things. What they should have written is something like:
ti = 3.00 s
tf = 3.00 s + Δt
This is what they really mean.

edit: (and by this notation, the particle is at x at time ti and it is at xf at time tf)
edit again: and so, by this, you can probably see that in part b) it is not possible to give a numerical answer because Δt is an unknown variable. Also, don't let the notation Δt put you off. It is just like any normal variable. You can call it 'a' or whatever, it does not have any special properties. (I think haruspex already said this, but it is a good point).

Last edited:

Related to Δt and Limit of Δx/Δt as Δt -> 0 at t=3?

1. What is the significance of Δt and limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3?

The values of Δt and limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 are important in calculus, specifically in the concept of derivatives. In this scenario, Δt represents a small change in time and Δx represents the corresponding small change in position. The limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3 represents the instantaneous rate of change of position at that specific time, which is the definition of a derivative.

2. How is the concept of Δt and limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3 applied in real-life situations?

The concept of Δt and limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3 is used in many real-life situations, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it is used to calculate instantaneous velocity and acceleration. In engineering, it is used to determine the slope of a curve for optimization and design purposes. In economics, it is used to calculate marginal cost and revenue.

3. What happens to the value of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3?

As Δt approaches 0, the value of Δx/Δt becomes closer and closer to the instantaneous rate of change at t=3. This means that the value of Δx/Δt becomes more accurate and precise in representing the instantaneous rate of change at that specific time.

4. Can the limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3 be calculated algebraically?

Yes, the limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3 can be calculated using algebraic methods, specifically the limit definition of a derivative. This involves taking the limit of the difference quotient (Δx/Δt) as Δt approaches 0, which can be evaluated using algebraic techniques.

5. How does the value of Δt affect the accuracy of the limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3?

A smaller value of Δt will result in a more accurate value for the limit of Δx/Δt as Δt approaches 0 at t=3. This is because as Δt approaches 0, the value of Δx/Δt becomes closer to the instantaneous rate of change, and a smaller Δt means a smaller change in time and a more precise representation of the instantaneous rate of change at t=3.