Duke Eng Grad School;Subtle Signs?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Spirit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Duke Grad
In summary: Wales, applied to Duke University when he was in high school. -He was rejected, but was accepted to the University of Florida Industrial Engineering program. -He received a generic letter from Duke University about a year ago, saying that he had been accepted and that he should join the program after he graduates from college. -mgb_phys has some questions about whether or not Duke is really interested in him, and whether or not there are subtle signs that he has been accepted. -mr_coffee has some advice for Khader about contacting people in the engineering department at his university. -oepedia maas has information about Duke's history of accepting students, and
Spirit
Hello everyone,

In short; I applied to Duke University when I was in high school in Wales. I was rejected. However, I was accepted at the University of Florida. Now I am Industrial Engineering Major, Senior year.

I received at my house address in Jordan a letter from Duke University; Master of Engineering, Management Program. It was sent on July 23rd, I received from Jordan to here in Florida about ten days ago.

It says in its end: "Join us right after receiving your undergraduate degree and gain the business management skills that will accelerate your career...We look forward to hear from you."

My Question is: Is there subtle signs that they are really interested? Or its just a search engine generator to attract strong applicants?

I have very limited knowledge in subtle signs for admissions/applications, I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

Physics news on Phys.org
By saying 'really interested' as in the chance to be admitted at the department.

Different course have different admissions requirements and these vary year by year depending on demand.
It is almost certainly a general mail shot but that doesn't say you wouldn't be accepted.

Master of Engineering programs at my University are really pushed, they really want students in the major because not many are interested, so you would have a good chance I think of getting into the program.

That letter sounds pretty generic. Any idea how Duke got your address in Jordan?

Thx mgb_phys, mr_coffee, and oepedia maas for your input;

I have some questions, please excuse my limited knowledge on this matter, as we are born knowing nothing and we learn during our lifetime;

mgb_phys; If demands now are in favor of students, i.e. requirements now are below the average requirements for the past couple of years, will it be better if I apply now to their master program, even I will be graduating in year 2009? Or chances usually are less since I am not a last year 'Senior' yet?

And to mr_coffee; Do you know any helpful people in the Engineering Department at your uni, Graduate part is a plus, that I amy contact for some details?

oepedia maas; The last contact with Duke was about 3 years ago, I may have added my home address in Jordan as a contact info, but as I remember I received the rejection letter directly at my mail box when I was studying high school in Wales.

I was thinking the Vice Principle for Academic at my high school may provided some information or so. I haven't contacted him since a looong time, it may [?] be odd if after all this time I contact him again for asking about this matter.

Thanks in advance ppl, I appreciate your time and response,
Peace,
-Khader,

Related to Duke Eng Grad School;Subtle Signs?

1. What are the requirements for admission to Duke's Engineering graduate school?

To be considered for admission to Duke's Engineering graduate school, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in a related field, a competitive GPA, and strong letters of recommendation. Additional requirements may vary by program.

2. What are some subtle signs that Duke's Engineering graduate school may be a good fit for me?

Subtle signs that Duke's Engineering graduate school may be a good fit include a strong reputation in your field of study, a diverse and supportive community, and opportunities for hands-on research and practical experience.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate degree at Duke's Engineering school?

The length of time to complete a graduate degree at Duke's Engineering school varies by program and individual progress. On average, it takes 2-3 years for a master's degree and 4-5 years for a PhD.

4. What types of financial aid and funding options are available for graduate students at Duke's Engineering school?

Duke's Engineering school offers a variety of financial aid and funding options for graduate students, including scholarships, fellowships, teaching and research assistantships, and loans. Prospective students are encouraged to research and apply for funding opportunities specific to their program.

5. Can I apply to multiple programs within Duke's Engineering graduate school?

Yes, applicants can apply to multiple programs within Duke's Engineering graduate school. However, each program may have different application requirements and it is important to carefully consider which program aligns best with your academic and career goals.