Dv's question at Yahoo Answers (Hermitian matrix)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, for two hermitian matrices A and B, the sum (AB+BA) is also hermitian and the difference (AB-BA) is skew-hermitian. This can be proven using the properties of the hermitian conjugate operator. Further questions can be posted in the math help boards.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

A and B are 2 matrices. Normally I use a dagger symbol for the Hermitian conjugate; here I'll use a £ sign as I have no dagger symbol.

If I have a matrix (AB+BA), then take the hermitian conjugte (AB + BA)£, does that mean:

(AB+BA)£=AB£+BA£

So, if A and B are hermitian, then (AB-BA) and (AB+BA) are also hermitian, right?

Here is a link to the question:

Hermitian matrix question? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Dv,

For all $A,B\in \mathbb{C^{n\times n}}$ hermitian matrices, and using well known properties of the ${}^\dagger$ operator: $$\begin{aligned}(AB+BA)^\dagger&=(AB)^\dagger+(BA)^\dagger\\&=B^\dagger A^\dagger +A^\dagger B^\dagger\\&=BA+AB\\&=AB+BA\\&\Rightarrow AB+BA\mbox{ is hermitian}\end{aligned}$$ $$\begin{aligned}(AB-BA)^\dagger&=(AB)^\dagger-(BA)^\dagger\\&=B^\dagger A^\dagger -A^\dagger B^\dagger\\&=BA-AB\\&=-(AB-BA)\\&\Rightarrow AB-BA\mbox{ is skew-hermitian}\end{aligned}$$ If you have further questions, you can post them in the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f14/ section.

Related to Dv's question at Yahoo Answers (Hermitian matrix)

1. What is a Hermitian matrix?

A Hermitian matrix is a square matrix that is equal to its own conjugate transpose. This means that if you take the complex conjugate of each element in the matrix and then transpose the matrix, you will end up with the original matrix. In simpler terms, a Hermitian matrix is equal to its own reflection across the main diagonal.

2. What are the properties of a Hermitian matrix?

Some key properties of a Hermitian matrix include:

• All eigenvalues are real numbers.
  • It is diagonalizable, meaning it can be expressed as a diagonal matrix with real values.
  • The diagonal elements are real numbers.
  • The non-diagonal elements come in complex conjugate pairs.
  • The determinant is always real.

3. How is a Hermitian matrix different from a symmetric matrix?

A Hermitian matrix is a special case of a symmetric matrix. The main difference is that a Hermitian matrix can contain complex numbers, while a symmetric matrix can only contain real numbers. Additionally, a Hermitian matrix is equal to its own conjugate transpose, while a symmetric matrix is equal to its own transpose.

4. How are Hermitian matrices used in mathematics and science?

Hermitian matrices have many applications in mathematics and science. Some examples include:

• In quantum mechanics, Hermitian matrices are used to represent observable physical quantities.
  • In statistics, Hermitian matrices are used in multivariate analysis and in the covariance matrix of a multivariate normal distribution.
  • In engineering, Hermitian matrices are used to model symmetric systems and to solve optimization problems.

5. What is the relationship between a Hermitian matrix and a unitary matrix?

A Hermitian matrix and a unitary matrix are two different types of special matrices. The main relationship between them is that a unitary matrix can be used to diagonalize a Hermitian matrix. In other words, if you multiply a Hermitian matrix by its conjugate transpose, you will get a diagonal matrix with real values, and this multiplication can be achieved by using a unitary matrix.