Dwight's vs. Burlington's Mathematical Data book?

In summary, the conversation discusses two books on mathematical data and formulas, namely "Tables of Integrals and Other Mathematical Data" by Herbert Bristol Dwight and "Handbook of Mathematical Tables and Formulas" by Richard Stevens Burlington. The person is considering buying Dwight's book but managed to obtain Burlington's book from a local library book sale. They are unsure if Dwight's book is worth buying due to the availability of Burlington's book.
TLeit
My quantum physics professor this semester showed us a useful book he had with tables of integrals, etc. in it called "Tables of Integrals and Other Mathematical Data" (4th edition) by Herbert Bristol Dwight. I have been considering buying this book from Amazon but was waiting because today was the local public library's book sale and they often have old science and math books there, and I was able to pick up "Handbook of Mathematical Tables and Formulas" (5th edition) by Richard Stevens Burlington. Is this book essentially equivalent to Dwight's or is there important stuff in Dwight's book that would make it worth still buying at some point? Are there any opinions on which book is better? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd imagine they are nearly equivalent. I have a copy of Dwight 4th ed. which has served me well in my studies. I've never used Burlington.

Related to Dwight's vs. Burlington's Mathematical Data book?

1. What is the difference between Dwight's and Burlington's Mathematical Data book?

Dwight's and Burlington's Mathematical Data books are both comprehensive collections of mathematical data and formulas. The main difference between them is that Dwight's book focuses more on theoretical concepts and proofs, while Burlington's book includes more real-world applications and examples.

2. Which book is more suitable for advanced mathematics?

Both Dwight's and Burlington's Mathematical Data books are suitable for advanced mathematics. However, Dwight's book may be better for those looking for a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, while Burlington's book may be more useful for those looking for practical applications.

3. Can I use these books for my research or academic studies?

Yes, both Dwight's and Burlington's Mathematical Data books are highly regarded in the mathematical community and are commonly used for research and academic studies. They are both reliable and comprehensive sources of mathematical information.

4. Are there any significant differences in the way the information is presented in these books?

While both books cover similar topics, they may present the information in different ways. Dwight's book may have more detailed explanations and proofs, while Burlington's book may have more diagrams and real-world examples. It ultimately depends on personal preference and what type of information is most useful to the reader.

5. Can I find the same information in both books?

There may be some overlap in the information presented in Dwight's and Burlington's Mathematical Data books, but they are not identical. Both books have their own unique collections of data and formulas, and it may be beneficial to consult both for a well-rounded understanding of mathematics.